House rewiring - what is involved?

shnaek

Hi there,
I was just wondering what is involved with rewiring an old house? My Dad wants to rewire his home (around 50 years old). Would he need to move out while the work was being done? Is it a very dusty job?
Is there anything in particular he should ask for, or look out for?
Thanks for the help.

We lived in a house while it was being rewired a few years back. It can be dusty but I would not imagine you need to move out.

A lot can depend on whether they can manage to pull the new cables in the existing conduits or if the walls need to be chased (very messy).

Make sure you get everyting that you need in while it is being done incl alarm, tv etc etc

No need to move out during rewiring, things get a bit untidy while the work is going on but should be completed in about a week. I did many house rewires well all the family were living in the house. Be sure to wire for fire alarms.

no need to move out but be sure to put cat5 or 6 in every room +co axil +something like 10 pair cable.Its not too expensive but you can run various things on the cables in the future.

Thanks for all your advice. I had heard that it was a good idea to put cat6 in alright. They say it's more reliable than wireless at present, especially for copying large amounts of data. I'll say it to Dad, though he won't have a clue what I'm on about!

In what cases would 'chasing' be involved? I am guessing that it means that if wires aren't where they should be then the electrician will have to drill in to the walls?

Also, would there be any advantage to me picking up fittings? I saw there on bargain alerts that fittings are currently going cheap in B&Q.

make sure the electricians are registered with either Reci or Ecssa. Check the website to ensure they are listed on it.

Back