House Renovation

V

VILLAGER

Moved into late 1960’s 4 bed semi-D in February 2008. Spent the last year making the house liveable and making plans regarding major renovation, including 40 square metre extension to the rear. I’ve ample space, as the garden is 120feet long (sloping upwards) and south facing. I also have a garage to the side, which extends to the full length of the house. Incidentally the garden roof is pre-cast concrete, which will be a job in itself to replace.

The issue is that I don’t have the budget as yet to do both renovate the existing house and built the extension. I’m looking for advice regarding which option to proceed with. The existing house has the original single glazed metal windows, is constructed of cavity block, needs totally rewired and a comprehensive decision made type of heating to install. 1st floor T&G floorboards need replaced, incorporate sound proofing between existing floors (main bedrooms over living and dining rooms) and neighbours house, dry lining, replace internal/external doors, new skirting etc.

OK my dilemma is whether to build the extension or renovate the house. The house, as in the style of the estate, has a raised ground floor (approx 2 feet). Is it possible to utilise this space, as far a possible, thus increasing the height of the ground floor area? What about the depth of the sewage/ground water pipes to the rear of the house, as I assume they run the length of all houses on my row? I also want to convert the attic, which will entail inserting RSJ’s, dormer style window to rear, staircase, fire proof plaster board etc. I don’t want to waste money, when in the future I’m in a position to proceed with the extension.

Obviously I’ll need to seek professional advice from an Architect. I’m in South Dublin, if anyone has recommendations for an Architect. From experience I’ve found recommendations from satisfied customers to be sensible rather than flicking through the Golden pages. I’ve found this forum particularly useful in developing my plans.

Hi, i'm half way through a job which sounds very similar to yours, northside based, full renovation plus 40sqm extension. What i would say is that the price of the extension was very competitive but the cost of renovation was nearly the same which i wasnt expecting but makes sense as it required knocking walls, rewire, replumb adding insulation etc, The architect i used was excellent, Sandymount based. If you want any other info pm me.

Did you utilize the space below the ground floor? In my case it would be shame not to. I can't see this option being substantially costly. Did you go through a consultation with the Architect regarding what you can or can’t do? That is probably what I need first. Then depending on budget proceed to architectural drawing.

Adding an extension to my home shouldn’t be that complicated, as I’m really only adding a rectangular box to the rear of the house. However it’s the insight that a professional would give regarding best utilization of the existing space and incorporating as much light as my budget will let me.

I had guessed that building costs had come down. I was factoring in drops of 30%. I hope to see this materialize once I start looking for quotes.

Please do PM architect’s contact details. Thanks

Doing a very similar job also. To answer your question as to where to start, I am starting at the top and working down. Attic first, the first floor then ground floor/extension. That way I am not working in finished areas. Mind, that only suits my as I am planning to spend a few years getting it all done - hope to do a lot myself - provided Mrs CC has the patience for that.

Re lowering the ground floors, check that you do not drop them lower than 150m above the DPC level. I am guessing that this might make it impractical.

Thanks for the information. Is the DPC level just below or in line with the air vents (which are below the internal ground floor)? The exterior of the house has 2+ foot of plastered wall (with vents) skirting the front and back of the house.

It's just not practical for me to do the house renovation on a isolated floor basis. To convert an attic to habitual space, you'll need to replace 1st floor ceiling plasterboard with fire proof plasterboard. Therefore you'll be doing two floors at once. Plus there's the entire re-wiring and plumbing to consider.

I didn't think you needed to have a fire rating between the first floor and attic. I thought you just needed a 1/2 hour fire rate stair enclosure over all three levels. Mind you, I am not making attic habitable so this is not something I have looked at in detail.

In my case, I intend to use a microbore system for plumbing which will make replumbing floor by floor easier. Rewiring one floor at a time is also possible if you plan it although I accept it is not ideal.

Best off starting with an architect, which doesn't cost anything at the chat stage. they can then advise you on your best course of action and also estimates of cost of each option. My architect was spot on in his extimates.

We just finished a similar renovation but without an attic conversion. Final cost was 80k all in. Can PM you the builder and architect if you like.

I would advise getting the extension & renovation done and doing without the attic for now. We put off the windows as we ran out of money.

It shouldn't be necessary to replace the existing first floor ceiling with a fire proof plasterboard when converting the attic space - just use a thicker floor covering in the attic, I think the Reg. requires an 18mm board to be carried through to the external walls (even in eaves areas) - check that before going to expense & mess of new celiings.

The escape route will require a half hour rating, which usually means only upgrading existing doors although that will depend on the existing wall construction. There's a 'Loft Conversion' leaflet on the Dept. of Environment web-site that covers all the issues (Publications - right hand box):

http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/

I've only come across fire rating the first floor ceiling in houses where the attic was already built, the eaves were inaccessible and it was being carried out as remedial work. Even then, there are alternatives - there are companies who do a 1-3 hr fire rated intumescent paint which can be applied to existing celiings.

There are large cracks were the existing plaster boards meet (predominated in the middle of the rooms - both ground floor/first floor ceilings) and there is a noticeable sagging. I had thought they would all need replaced. However if it's not a reg requirement for habitable attic space, then filler/plaster will remedy this.

I would say get the buillder in and let him have a look. Tell him about your wishes and plans and he should be able to advise you what's possible and what's not. Also, the builder is more than likely to know a good architect that he can recommend. A decent builder does not charge for this.

We've gutted our house last year and the builder was brilliant, I'd highly recomend him. His name is Michael and you can get him on 087 966 6749. I believe that he has done work for some other AAM-ers and they were quite pleased with his work and his prices.

Back