House Renovation Quote

Pugmister

Hi All,

Just had a preliminary quote from a company for a full renovation and extension to our four bed house in south dublin. The quote was from a reputable company and actually came in lower than expected as i always deemed this particular company to be high price from looking at previous projects they have done in the city.

As part of the quote i noticed they are charging €1,210 for hoarding and signage - Is this something the client must avail of by law in order to keep neighbouring properties free from dirt ? I always assumed builders put these up as form of advertising and they client doesn't foot the bill.

Also they have quoted €6500 for painting which seems excessive....would anyone know if this is now the standard rate ? Im do want an high quality finish so had around the €4k mark in my mind.

Finally they are pushing for a flat roof for the extension as opposed to an apex which the neighbouring property has. They say it will flow much better internally using this type of roof however i am concerned about the quality of lfat roof having heard horror stories down through the years. If given the choice is opting for a traditional apex always preferable ?

I'm assuming hoarding & signage is to warn members of the public that there's buiding work in progress on the site and to keep out nosy-parkers and also that it's a hard hat/hi-vis/work-boot area if they choose to enter. If it's purley for "Murphy Bros Builders" type signs then cross it off the quote. You'll need to ask open-ended questions like "What's that line item on the costing for?" to find out.

Flat roof, no, no and no again. Cheap and cheerful and quick, but you'll be patching and repairing for the rest of your days. Having said that with a bad roof of any kind, that possibility exists. My father was a builder and he eventually built an apex roof over his own flat-roofed extension.

I know nothing about painting costs, sorry.

I had a 30sq m extension put on 2 years ago with a flat roof. No issues so far. It's a fiberglass type material that was 'blasted' into place. Roof is at a slight angle to allow water run-off.

. Roof is at a slight angle to allow water run-off.
Key point that! My mum had the garage re-roofed years ago. She replaced a flat felt roof with a tile apex roof but the angle of the roof was too shallow and leaked terribly when rain hit it at a certain angle. Worse than flat roof. Given the number of flat roof extensions constructed on Amazing Homes and Grand Designs, the technology must have improved over the years but location and exposure is key.

I'd go Apex as it has a better history, plus you can do something with the space eg exposed beams, storage. Rather than just a "box".

You should check with your insurance company will they cover the flat roof - it usually depends of what percentage of your property is flat roofed. For 100& flat roofed it is virtually impossible to get a quote.

Hi All,

Just had a preliminary quote from a company for a full renovation and extension to our four bed house in south dublin. The quote was from a reputable company and actually came in lower than expected as i always deemed this particular company to be high price from looking at previous projects they have done in the city.

As part of the quote i noticed they are charging €1,210 for hoarding and signage - Is this something the client must avail of by law in order to keep neighbouring properties free from dirt ? I always assumed builders put these up as form of advertising and they client doesn't foot the bill.

Also they have quoted €6500 for painting which seems excessive....would anyone know if this is now the standard rate ? Im do want an high quality finish so had around the €4k mark in my mind.

Finally they are pushing for a flat roof for the extension as opposed to an apex which the neighbouring property has. They say it will flow much better internally using this type of roof however i am concerned about the quality of lfat roof having heard horror stories down through the years. If given the choice is opting for a traditional apex always preferable ?

Get another painter to quote, if the builder is organising painting you will be very lucky to get a top class finish

I’m not sure the 4K is to cover ? Internal or external paint ? What kind of paint you want to use etc etc

Thanks all......certainly grounds for thought.

I am veering towards Apex myself however i have been doing some research about PVC and Trocal flat roofs which seem to come recommended.

The painting quote is for inside only as the exterior will be all red brick. I'm thinking i will try to source my own painter as there are a few I follow on Instagram who seem to produce a consistently high level of work.

What pitch angle could you achieve given the length of the extension? With slate, you're looking at a 20% minimum, some concrete tiles ill get you down to 17%, but lower than that will give problems.

Is this the first quote you've received? If so, the best gauge of value will be to continue to get more quotes for the same spec.

you could also look at something like zinc for a low-pitch roof. Seems popular for extensions but it is probably more expensive than slates or tiles.

We did an extension last year. Put a fibreglass flat roof on the new bit (approx 35sq meters of new roof). No issues at all with insuring it.

Hi All,

Be interested in what cost you have received for a renovation (per sq/m or in total) as planning on this at some stage myself.. PM if you don't want to put up.

The hoarding and signage is to separate the construction site from the general public and restrict access. It needs to be done for various reasons and the fact that they have itemised it on the quote is a really good sign.

On finding your own Contrator for painting finish while it seems like you will save 2k you’re introducing a lot of hassle for yourself. The main contractor will not want other subbies onsite while it’s still “his site” and you might find if your painter damages stuff everything the is wrong or a snag will be his fault - you’ve decided to be married to a builder for the job....don’t play the field :)

Thanks all. Well the build is now 95% complete, just waiting on a bathroom vanity unit and the kitchen counter tops to arrive and we will be ready to move in.

The renovation cost came in around the 130k mark. That included a 35sqm extension, full rewire, full replumb, insulation and plastering. To be honest i could have easily spent another 20k upgrading finishes on certain things but decided to spec the more permanent items such as windows to the level i wanted and will look at upgrading things like internal doors, ironmongery, skirting and arhitrave down the line to something more suited to the house.

Then between a new kitchen, bathroom sanitary ware, wardrobes and flooring / tiles / carpet we spent the guts of another 50k.

Can I make a suggestion for a Facebook group Self Build and Renovations Ireland ... its a fabulous place for advice and suggestions . Thank you.

The hoarding and signage is to separate the construction site from the general public and restrict access. It needs to be done for various reasons and the fact that they have itemised it on the quote is a really good sign.

FYI - this thread was resurrected by the poster before you, since deleted as spam.

If that was me , apologies. I obviously mis clicked something or didn't notice if I had made some kind of error.

Back