House Rebuild estimate - Extensions

SpiderBaby

Hi,

House Insurance renewal time and I was going to use the SCSI rebuild calculator to see if I need to up the amount currently covered. However, it occurred to me that they just stated to measure "the internal finish of the perimeter or party walls within the property". I'm not sure if this is inclusive of any extensions?

Does house insurance typically cover the rebuild of any extensions that were added to the original property? If so, the extensions were all done over 15 years ago by previous owners so I wouldn't have any receipts of work done etc.

Just don't want to over-insure if the property would be only rebuilt to the original footprint.

Thanks.

Yes of course, the intention is usually to rebuild what existed just prior to the fire, not some time in the past.

You should ensure the rebuild estimate that you provide your insurers is sufficient to rebuild the house as it is now. Advising your insurer of a lower figure will see any claim you submit reduced.

Yes of course, the intention is usually to rebuild what existed just prior to the fire, not some time in the past.

You should ensure the rebuild estimate that you provide your insurers is sufficient to rebuild the house as it is now. Advising your insurer of a lower figure will see any claim you submit reduced.
Thanks - I've no intention of providing a lower figure, I'll be providing a figure via the SCSI guidance around cost per square meter. I just didn't want to over-insure.

Reactions: Leo
Thanks - I've no intention of providing a lower figure, I'll be providing a figure via the SCSI guidance around cost per square meter. I just didn't want to over-insure.
You should just use the SCSI figures as a very rough guideline and then adjust for the specifics of your property.

Back