House/Probate/Will

C

curio

Help!

Grandparents died intestate (without making a will). There were several children.All deceased bar my uncle.

My Mother and Father resided in Grandparents house (caring for aged grandparents) and after they died, continued to pay all house fees and paid off house mortage over a 10 year period. They continued to live in house Mother for 16 years Father for 38 years.

Both of my parents are now deceased, Father recently. Father willed his estate to me. My uncle a survivng relative (brother of the Grandparents) now demands a share of the Grandparents estate and is demanding the house keys claiming that he has the right to do so and has either has or is seeking a Grant of Administration on the Grandparent's estate.
It is early days but now in the hands of a solicitor.

Do I have any claim on the house by long tenancy or adverse possession?

Can anyone advise do I have a Beneficial interest in the home where I would be entitled to at a minimum a greater share and can my uncle force me out of the home to sell?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Curio

I am not a lawyer, but I think you need t osit down with your solcitor and discuss the matter - not over phone.

from what i know, the estate of your grandparents, if they died intestate, goes to all their children in equal proportions. If any of these children are dead, then their share is divided amongst their children.

your situation is more complicated if your paretns paid off the mortgage. You whill need proof of this, but assuming you can get proof, then I think that they have a greater share than the others.

as I said it is very complicated and your solicitor may even need to consult barristers to get more definite advices.

the important thing is not to delay. delays do not help - go in first get whatever advice you can and if you need to do further research or get more documents/information for your legal people, then get it as soon as you can.

delays costs even more money than law!

Thank you for the reply. I am in contact with a solicitor. Has anyone had a similar issue? Can they share their experience and advice?

Have they had to go to court to have their share increased to a fair amount?

Curio

Back