house price reduction?

Please refrain from personally attacking other posters as per the Posting Guidelines.

Fwiw, I think its pretty daft to expect that people's views of deals and of the market in general will not evolve over a period of 6+ months.

It's not an attack to point out a conflict of interest.

Please refrain from personally attacking other posters as per the Posting Guidelines.

Fwiw, I think its pretty daft to expect that people's views of deals and of the market in general will not evolve over a period of 6+ months.

If you actually read that thread you will see that someone is bidding 250000 for a house in navan valued at 275000, what chance they would get anything near 250000 fir than house today? Zero chance.

I don't agree 100% that now is the wrong time to buy. They say the best time to buy is when no-one else is and the best time to sell is when everyone is buying! We just bought a house for 40% below the original asking price (€1.2m down to €720k) and as it will be a family home for the next 15-20+ years it made sense in my mind. Sure, it may go down over the next 12mths but over a 20yr period it will prove a good buy. The definition of a good deal is a happy seller and a happy buyer, so if your happy, perhaps go for it?

Unless you have really good reasons to buy now, e.g. you have sold your own house, dont want to rent and have a great deal on a new house, then I would not buy now. I cannot see any scenario ocurring where the market is more favourable now than it will be in 12 months for the buyer, so hanging on for another year is definitely the right way to go.

People really need to look at what a reduction in price actually means in real terms, something alot of people forget about, figures like 300k, 500k, 800k means nothing until you work out what it costs each and every month.

Take an example of a €350k house, the repayments on that would be €2098 per month (35yr 6%) now say that house drops price by 20% to €280k, so your repayments will go down to €1678. Thats €420 every month saved for 35 years.

Ok, your buying in a falling market and plenty of buyers are saying sure prices will increase in a few years, but thats €420 more your paying every month and the future value of your house is irrelavent unless you going to sell. And i'd hope anyone buying now is buying a home of life and not just something there going to look to sell in 5-10 years.

The market will continue to drop for atleast another year, but my own believe is for the next 2-3 years, with another couple of years before we see even a price increase in line with inflation. We are only in the early days of this bubble brust. The question is, are you happy to pay that extra €200, €400, €600 every month by buying now and not waiting awhile?
If you are then the best of luck to you, a home for your loved ones might just be worth that extra and so by all means find that home now.

People really need to look at what a reduction in price actually means in real terms, something alot of people forget about, figures like 300k, 500k, 800k means nothing until you work out what it costs each and every month.

Take an example of a €350k house, the repayments on that would be €2098 per month (35yr 6%) now say that house drops price by 20% to €280k, so your repayments will go down to €1678. Thats €420 every month saved for 35 years.

Ok, your buying in a falling market and plenty of buyers are saying sure prices will increase in a few years, but thats €420 more your paying every month and the future value of your house is irrelavent unless you going to sell. And i'd hope anyone buying now is buying a home of life and not just something there going to look to sell in 5-10 years.

The market will continue to drop for atleast another year, but my own believe is for the next 2-3 years, with another couple of years before we see even a price increase in line with inflation. We are only in the early days of this bubble brust. The question is, are you happy to pay that extra €200, €400, €600 every month by buying now and not waiting awhile?
If you are then the best of luck to you, a home for your loved ones might just be worth that extra and so by all means find that home now.

Can some one tell me, reading the above very sensible comment, how in their right mind they would advice someone to buy now??

Can some one tell me, reading the above very sensible comment, how in their right mind they would advice someone to buy now??

I will try.

Similar advice "You must be mad to buy" was given to me in 1997 when I bought my first house. The advice was given by some well meaning relatives and friends who had there own property and thought the price I was paying was ludicrous. Had I waited for another two years or so the property I purchased would have almost doubled yes doubled (Neighbour sold after 2 years).

Knobody predicted the property bubble or if they did I'm sure there not posting on here but are off playing golf in Barbados similarly anyone here that can predict when we will see the bottom of the market is giving advice worth millions absolutley free.

The only really good advice is are you/will you be comfortable making the payments on the mortgage for the lifetime of it. Could you see yourself staying in this house for the lenght of the mortgage (if the property did indeed devalue). If the answer to both of these questions is yes then by al means buy the property. There is no harm in trying to get as much of a reduction as possible but the amount of posters who seem to think that they can predict where the market will be in even 12 months never mind the three years some are suggecting are really kidding themselves and others. By the way I am not in the property game not a developer or EA.

As a matter of interest, has the ban on speculating on house prices been lifted? Have you ever wondered why it was/is in place?

Thanks,

DubGus

The problem is the Irish mentality regarding property. You must own it and own it now. We wouldn't have had this bubble if people bought when the time was right for them to buy, instead of getting their foot on the ladder asap. 24yr olds and younger buying 1 bed flats for €450k was crazy.
If people accept that rent is NOT dead money and then buy when it suits, then the market will find its feet again. So if now is the right time for you, then by all means buy now.
Finally on predicting the market, i can see no conceivable way the market will reach the bottom in 2009, and most agree, 80k more unemployed next year and this is only an estimate. Maybe in 2010 prices will stabilize, but just my own opinion is it will take longer

I will try.

Similar advice "You must be mad to buy" was given to me in 1997 when I bought my first house. The advice was given by some well meaning relatives and friends who had there own property and thought the price I was paying was ludicrous. Had I waited for another two years or so the property I purchased would have almost doubled yes doubled (Neighbour sold after 2 years).

Knobody predicted the property bubble or if they did I'm sure there not posting on here but are off playing golf in Barbados similarly anyone here that can predict when we will see the bottom of the market is giving advice worth millions absolutley free.

The only really good advice is are you/will you be comfortable making the payments on the mortgage for the lifetime of it. Could you see yourself staying in this house for the lenght of the mortgage (if the property did indeed devalue). If the answer to both of these questions is yes then by al means buy the property. There is no harm in trying to get as much of a reduction as possible but the amount of posters who seem to think that they can predict where the market will be in even 12 months never mind the three years some are suggecting are really kidding themselves and others. By the way I am not in the property game not a developer or EA.

You tried but actually argued your self into my point. These are different times. You do not need to be a financial whiz to understand the house prices are going down and will continue that way for god knows how long. So buy now and it costs you 50 to 100 grand more than next year. its a no brainer. And it has absolutly nothing to do with your personal anacedote

Have to agree with TheBlock.

Predict the market is going down down down gets you complete immunity on this website. Predict the market is going to do anything else gets you a ban/slap/thread lock.

Have to agree with TheBlock.

Predict the market is going down down down gets you complete immunity on this website. Predict the market is going to do anything else gets you a ban/slap/thread lock.

We must be reading different websites, up-until a few weeks ago if you said the market was going down you would get a ban or your thread would be removed, one of mine posts was deleated only 2 weeks ago. But i suppose things are that bad that now that the mods can no longer ban negivitive house price speculation, also predicting prices would rise was allowed. (stange logic)

You tried but actually argued your self into my point. These are different times. You do not need to be a financial whiz to understand the house prices are going down and will continue that way for god knows how long. So buy now and it costs you 50 to 100 grand more than next year. its a no brainer. And it has absolutly nothing to do with your personal anacedote

I've no idea where i argued myself into your point I thought I said anyone trying to predict where the market would be in12 months was kidding themselves but hey ho you know best.

OP If your content with price and can afford the repayments I'd go for it. The market may continue to fall (seems to be the consensus) but if it does no doubt there will be people telling you to hold out longer...then again it may rise sharply or you may lose this property to another bidder. At the end of the day it's your decision. best of luck with it.

I've no idea where i argued myself into your point I thought I said anyone trying to predict where the market would be in12 months was kidding themselves but hey ho you know best.

OP If your content with price and can afford the repayments I'd go for it. The market may continue to fall (seems to be the consensus) but if it does no doubt there will be people telling you to hold out longer...then again it may rise sharply or you may lose this property to another bidder. At the end of the day it's your decision. best of luck with it.

All objective evidence tells us that house prices will fall over the next year to two. OP ignore that evidence pay 50-100 grand more. Saddle your self with twice that amount over the life time of a thirty year morgage.

The only really good advice is are you/will you be comfortable making the payments on the mortgage for the lifetime of it.

If I am able and comfortable in spending 100 grand for a mars bar, does that make it worth 100 grand? why is it different for houses? Pay what the house is worth not what you can afford!

If I am able and comfortable in spending 100 grand for a mars bar, does that make it worth 100 grand? why is it different for houses? Pay what the house is worth not what you can afford!

That's a pretty lame analogy. Aren't all Mars bars the same, and dont they become valueless after a few months? Is one not able to buy an identical Mars bar elsewhere should the consumer find one overpriced. Does the Mars bar price change constantly up and down due to market forces.

Nobody is saying becuase one is will to spend an amount that it makes it worth that. You're in no position to know what the place is worth anyhow as you have not seen it. For all you know it could already be 100K better value than other similar properties and so even should the market continue to go down it will still be good value in a years time. Whatever about worth, if that is the price the seller has put on it, then that is what it costs. Worth is a completely subjective term, it has no empirical meaning in this context, particularly when one cannot be 100% sure of where things are going, how long for, not to mention no knowledge of the particular abode.

. Worth is a completely subjective term, it has no empirical meaning in this context, particularly when one cannot be 100% sure of where things are going, how long for, not to mention no knowledge of the particular abode.

Not so, in some cases yes worth is a subjective term but in other cases it is objective, take a mars bar for example its priced at seventy five sence not because of a subjective reason but because of production costs and profit margin etc. Anyway this is not really a philisophical discussion about the nature of worth. It is about the fact hat house prices are falling and are going to fall more (all objecctive evidence points this way) The question is do you think it is prudent to buy now given those circumstances. The objective answer is no.

Not so, in some cases yes worth is a subjective term but in other cases it is objective, take a mars bar for example its priced at seventy five sence not because of a subjective reason but because of production costs and profit margin etc. Anyway this is not really a philisophical discussion about the nature of worth. It is about the fact hat house prices are falling and are going to fall more (all objecctive evidence points this way) The question is do you think it is prudent to buy now given those circumstances. The objective answer is no.

I think you have missed my point, I was trying to show exactly what you say - that Mars bars worth is far more obvious and stable and predictable and therefore objective than that of a house, where so many other things come into play that worth becomes very subjective, and those things are in many cases person specific, therefore subjective.

If you get a great deal on a house in an area you want to live in for the rest of your life and where your family is attending school and near your work and with good transpart etc etc etc then it would be prudent to buy. In my humble opinion. There are some great deals being done at the moment, not all people who are buying at the moment are muppets, some are making good personal and financial decisions.

If we follow your prudent advice then the only time to buy is when we have reached the bottom and prices are rising, right? Oh yeah, and we should probably all sell when prices are at their peak, just before they start to fall. That'll work. Will you please post when this happens. Of course, then it will be the right time for everyone to buy so maybe there might be more competition on each sale. See the point?

I think you have missed my point, I was trying to show exactly what you say - that Mars bars worth is far more obvious and stable and predictable and therefore objective than that of a house, where so many other things come into play that worth becomes very subjective, and those things are in many cases person specific, therefore subjective.

If you get a great deal on a house in an area you want to live in for the rest of your life and where your family is attending school and near your work and with good transpart etc etc etc then it would be prudent to buy. In my humble opinion. There are some great deals being done at the moment, not all people who are buying at the moment are muppets, some are making good personal and financial decisions.

If we follow your prudent advice then the only time to buy is when we have reached the bottom and prices are rising, right? Oh yeah, and we should probably all sell when prices are at their peak, just before they start to fall. That'll work. Will you please post when this happens. Of course, then it will be the right time for everyone to buy so maybe there might be more competition on each sale. See the point?

Fair points well made. My prudent advice is to wait another 18 months to two years, based on the objective evidence. then assess the suituation then based on the evidence avalible then. Remember the criteria you suggest for buyign now, great location etc, will be avalible at that time.

Back