House price appreciation. How much has yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael

I bought my home in 1994 in Castleknock for 49000 Punts (it was actually a buyers market then). I put an extension on in 1999 and spent 40000 punts.That all adds up to the equivalent of 113000 euros. On realeasing equity recently I had to get the house valued . The value is now 650000 euros (mad isn't it). Anyway thats approximately a 500% price increase.

Surely no other country has seen such explosive growth.

I am sure others have similar experiences. Want to share yours ,even better, can you top that?

Tallaght = 1974 = £7,500. 2006=€550,000 mainly because of corner site with potential to build.

600% increase in 12 years (based on asking price of neighbour's house currently for sale).

real chattering class dinner party stuff IMO. means nothing unless your gonna sell and move to a cheaper country or have investment properties here.

Yawn. The dog in the street knows that those who were fortunate enough to buy a house >10 years ago is sitting on huge equity. But why open a thread in "Mortgages and Home Buying" (where most posters seem to be first time buyers) to boast about it.

Bearishbull, exactly, it means something if you are using the equity , i.e. investment properties. Many people view this site for that reason. Anyone sitting on large amounts of equity should be putting it to good use if they want to maximise its worth.

SarahMc, it wasn't a boast, it was a genuine thread to see who can come up with the biggest percentage gain.

Please outline your rules for Threads so we can all try to abide by them.

To start your post with a yawn and then refer to yourself in the 3rd person makes me wonder what breed you might be?

I know that one rule is not to use personal insults, so referring to me as a "breed" is really not on.

Secondly, considering this is a site about money, I have always found it very inclusive and that it has always avoided the "how much my house is worth, how much my ssia is worth, how much i earn" crassness that is all too pervasive elsewhere.

DrMoriarty said:
SarahMc and Michael, let's please keep it civil, and on-topic? (however , I agree...)
I remember reading when there share reached the 180$ mark, that if you had invested 1$ at the start it would be worth 1000$

Another thing that is "pervasive" is the hiding of good news. Beware,never share it.People will try to shoot you down (as above).

God forbid if any of the Million Irish people who have seen significant equity growth in their homes let that news out to the the current First Time buyers. Please shut your eyes now if you are in the FTB category and are offended at reading this thread. I doubt too many are.

I honestly think people genuinely would like to share their successes but society prevents it. More good news should be put on the front pages (as happened with Munster yesterday) and we should not be shy about our achievements .

I'm with Brendan Behan, "FTB" (and this time it doesn't stand for First Time Buyers).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back