House needs finishing touches - recommendation for handyman?

S

scruff01

My husband and I have been doing up an end of terrace 1890s house over the past couple of years. Every wall has been stripped back to the brick, damp proofed, insulated, replastered and painted. The floors downstairs have been lifted, concrete poured, insulated & covered.

It might not have been such a good idea in retrospect but we used different workmen along the way (it always depended on what money we had when), did a good bit of it ourselves and got friends to help us. It was a big learning curve and lots of lessions learnt along the way!

The problem is that the house is finished in terms of all the hardest work but doesn't look properly finished if that makes sense. The hallway and the ceiling were done by different people and the space between the top of the wall and ceiling needs to be filled as there's a bit of a gap from where both plasterers finished their pieces.

There's also a small hole in one of the ceilings where we had to rip out dead pipes - this also needs covered and smoothed over.

We need to get these gaps filled, skirting boards down, coving up, some walls smoothed down (some of the plastering was better than others!), sockets fitted into the walls (they are working but hanging off the walls)

I had two separate handymen call round and both said they would quote me but never did - I'm guessing the work is too bitty and perhaps more than a handyman job but less than a builders job.

Anyway, enough of my rambling - trying to put this all into context! If anyone has any recommendations of anyone who might be able to help me out that would be much appreciated

Thanks

I've recently used Kosta at http://www.yourbuilder.ie/services.php Very professional, showed up when he was supposed to (after hours) and even worked on a Saturday/Sunday just to get my job done before he had to move to another job. He's a Carpenter by trade and a good one judging by the work he done for me. Keenley priced as he knows how depressed the trades are at the moment. He has a couple of other tradesmen working with him so he should let you know what he can/can't do.

Highly Recommended.

Thanks for the advice, had a quick look at the website and it looks great. I'll get in touch with them and will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Just logged back on today to provide an update as the guys just finished yesterday. I went with Kosta in the end and was really pleased with the results - he gave me a fixed price contract which took him and his team 6 days to complete and they left the space spotless.

I had gotten a few quotes and Kosta's was by far the cheapest.

Was really glad I got them in and have to say Kosta and his team were extremely pleasant and patient (I was quite vague about what I was looking for!)

Thanks to TheBlock for providing the recommendation, I will definitely use this site again - it was a great help to know that I was getting reliable handymen in.

Back