House mostly paid for, but builder won't finish.

Kirsty

Hi I desperately need help. I purchased a property last year but when I turned up it was not finished. My solicitor withheld a certain amount of money to get the builder to finish it. It has been heart breaking. My solicitor is not treating my case as a priority and seems bullied by the builder's solicitor. I have had to go to the expense of reports to prove it isn't finished. The builder wants the money held back but does not seem to want to finish the property. Sewage system, roof not completed, holes at floor levels internally and externally. He says he will finish and renages all the time. I cannot go litigation what do I do? It is very demoralizing and I am really concerned. Any thoughts about how I can get this resolved asap would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Last edited:
What sort of money are you talking about being held back and what problems are there with the sewage? That, to me, would seem to be the most important depending on what it is. Another consideration for you is getting everything signed off, planning, compliance cert, etc, or you will have big problems if you want to sell again.

Last edited:
Thank you all. I am going back to my solicitor tomorrow to ask him to give formal notice to the builder via his solicitor to use the 20k we held back for another contractor to step in. I will investigate the completion/compliance notifications issue at that point. I firmly believe the builder is hoping I run out of money and I would have to sell it back to him. There already may be a history of this before. I have lost about 50k euros in loss of earnings and I am living off money earmarked for a pension. I never thought for a minute buying a house through an estate agent and a solicitor I would meet such negligence.

Back