House Knock - Salvage

CubicYard1

My friend is knocking an old house in order to rebuild and he is going to throw a lot of stuff into a skip that I think would be worth money - am I wrong :

1) Loads of old copper piping - I heard copper was very expensive these days
2) A fairly new (?) water heater/immersion - In good condition - worth anything ?
3) Loads of old radiators
4) The oil burner - seems in good nick but hard to tell
5) A fairly old fridge
6) External water pipes in good nick - worth anything ?
7) Some decent double-glaze windows

Is there a market for this stuff ?
Is there anything else that could be of value ?

CY

Slightly off topic, but I don't think you can just throw stuff into skips like that anymore. It has to be sorted into wood/metal/glass etc.

I think you are right about salvage - get him to ring a scrap metal merchant and ask about metal salvage. They should be able to tell you if any of the copper etc. is of interest to them.

As for some of the other stuff (windows, boiler etc.), even if he puts it on buy and sell or other free paper, he should be able to give it away. At least it will save the cost of a few skips.

Any copper or brass are certainly worth salvaging; at one time small scraps were consigned to the skip on large busy sites but not any longer as copper is now so expensive. Scrap merchants buy by the kilo so it'll take a fair bit of pipework to amount to any quantity. Also worth salvaging are any lead/ copper/ zinc flashings or gutters. Steel rads would not be of much resale value in themseves (they may be full of sludge or corroded internally) but they do have a scrap value as steel. The boiler would also have a scrap value. Don't expect to get too much for scrap steel or iron. Salvaged tiles or slates may have a residual value as they may be in demand fro repair work or for an extension by someone who has the same roof finish; finding the market is the problem. You could be lucky with the windows on Buy and Sell, as suggested.

Cubic yard1
Just demolished a 1970 bunglow and done the following.
all items must be seperated timber steel stone etc etc.
Loads of old copper piping - I heard copper was very expensive these days ---- Yes this is of some value.
2) A fairly new (?) water heater/immersion - In good condition - worth anything ? No worth anything
3) Loads of old radiators -- not worth anything unless they are old cast iron type.
4) The oil burner - seems in good nick but hard to tell. Probably not worth much. --
5) A fairly old fridge. Nothing.
6) External water pipes in good nick - worth anything ? Nothing.
7) Some decent double-glaze windows. Yes if standard sizes.

Is there a market for this stuff ?
Is there anything else that could be of value ?

Nothing else of any good, -- Depends on age of house, cast iron fireplaces etc etc,.
People will tell you the immersions radiators etc etc have a resale value, They have only if you have a buyer. put into buy and sell, and if no response then dump, you will not put these into a new house.

Regards

Back