Home House insurance for one month only?

marshmallow

House I'm selling is currently sale agreed and contracts are due to be signed at beginning of next month. However current house insurance is due at end of this month and property is vacant.
Can one insure a property on a month-by-month basis?

Doubt it. But what you could do is take it out for the year, cancel at the end of the month and ask for a refund of the balance.

Thanks Paddy, do the insurance companies do that kind of thing? Insurance will be invalid once ownership changes hands in any case.

They do it for car insurance ... I reinsured my vehicle, sold it a month later and a refund of balances was issued.

Only way to be sure ... ask them.

You can do this. When I was selling my house my insurance expired a month before the moving date. I had to insure for a year, and then on the day my house was sold I rang and cancelled and was refunded the extra. As far as i know they won't do month by month.

Thanks folks good to know. Was thinking of paying by direct debit month by month and then just cancelling the d/d when the property is sold but not sure if this would mean I'd automatically owe the full yearly amount anyway. Good to know they give refunds.

Thanks folks good to know. Was thinking of paying by direct debit month by month and then just cancelling the d/d when the property is sold but not sure if this would mean I'd automatically owe the full yearly amount anyway. Good to know they give refunds.
Enquire this, because this sounds more helpful because if they don't cancel than no refunds...

Back