House insurance - Drink Driving Conviction

DeclanDublin

Hi guys. A friend's partner had a DUI conviction a number of years ago. He owns his home outright and wanted to get home cover. He has been refused because of the DUI. I used to work in insurance way back, and recall that insurers generally declined for convictions involving dishonesty but the question of a motoring offence didn't arise. I assume the refusal is 'justified' on the basis of moral hazard or some such clause, is there anyone likely to quote for him in these circumstances? He has no mortgage so there's been no insurance on the house for a few yrs now.

Most companies ask for disclosure of a conviction outside of motoring so this does seem unfair. His conviction may fall into the spent conviction category as well. I would send a letter of compliant into the insurer to see what they say, but there are plenty of insurers on the market that will quote for him.

Thanks for the replies guys. He eventually rang back the broker who got him a quote for €100 more. Total swiz if ye ask me.

Most companies ask for disclosure of a conviction outside of motoring so this does seem unfair. His conviction may fall into the spent conviction category as well. I would send a letter of compliant into the insurer to see what they say, but there are plenty of insurers on the market that will quote for him.

The insurers may have added an additional problem. The declinature now of itself becomes a material fact to be disclosed to future insurers when seeking insurance.

Back