House insurance claim/homebond guarantee

dervalh

I moved into my house (second hand/7 years old) last Oct. Few weeks in and discovered sewage pipe was blocked. Plumber came out and stated that blockage was due to incorrectly laid pipes. Got it cleared and same problem came back 6 mths later. Problem has arisen again and at this stage I need to find out whether developer is covered under homebond structural guarantee and also whether my house insurance would alternatively cover it. Has anyone similiar experience and can offer advise. Also apart from asking developer is there any other means of ascertaining whether he is covered under this guarantee. Thanks in advance

dervalh said:
Also apart from asking developer is there any other means of ascertaining whether he is covered under this guarantee.
If the house is covered by Homebond then as part of the legal documentation received by your solicitor when the sale closed there should have been a HB47 (?) form. Check with your solicitor or your lender if the property is mortgaged and they have the deeds.

AFAIK Homebond only covers the FIRST owner for the first 10 years. As you have stated the house is second hand, despite the fact that it is only 7yrs old - you are not covered. [broken link removed]

What did your plumber use to clear the drain - rods? Did he survey the line with a camera unit? If not, I would recommend hiring a drain cleaning company and get a camera survey done. Should cost ~€300 but you will get a detailed report and tape showing exactly what the problem is.

If there is a major problem and you need the drains replaced or relined, then your home insurance policy may cover the cost of same (and indeed the camera survey). You will need to check with your insurer.

Back