House insurance and stolen property

Decani

The situation is as follows. Some property was taken from our house. The alarm wasn't on and, it would appear, that a downstairs window wasn't securely closed. I'm of the opinion that the insurance company won't pay out because of the conditions set out above. I have yet to read our policy but I was wondering, in general, if the insurance company would pay out under such circumstances. Value of lost property comes to about €800.

Decani said:
The alarm wasn't on and, it would appear, that a downstairs window wasn't securely closed. I'm of the opinion that the insurance company won't pay out because of the conditions set out above. I have yet to read our policy but I was wondering, in general, if the insurance company would pay out under such circumstances.
I doubt that they would pay out if the property was not properly secured particularly if it was unoccupied at the time and you were benefiting from an alarm discount on premiums.

Value of lost property comes to about €800.
What's the excess on the contents policy? It may not be worth claiming for such a relatively small amount especially as it may cause a hike in premiums at renewal time and/or when shopping around.

Observer said:
Get the claim form - don't tell any lies - see what happens?

Are ya mad, just say it was all locked up etc.

Personally, I'm not up to giving false or misleading info. Even if I did tell porkies, I'm sure they'd want to see some evidence of a break in. Maybe not explicitly themselves but maybe through a police report. In either case, it's clear that there was no forced entry. As a result, they'd either apply a nice big excess or jack up the premium making it pointless. I might just ring them anyway and be honest just to see but I could probably get that info off the policy. I'll have a read when I get home.

ClubMan said:
That would be fraud. I don't think that's good advice at all.

it wouldnt stop be claiming. No morales I know.

a fairly important point to note then that your insurance is useless for theft if you've availed of the discounts for an alarm or mortice locks if these are not engaged at the time. I suppose this technically would apply to car theft also?

Back