Home House insurance and renting

G

G-man

Hi,
Our situation is that we currently own a house in Dublin which has the relevant household insurance (rebuild and contents). We also have my partners Engagement ring as an extra on the policy.
We are currently in the process of building our new home in Longford so will be renting out our current house and renting somewhere ourselves in Longford during the building process.

Is our current household insurance ok or do we need to get a different policy as it's will be a rented accomodation. Will the engagement ring still be covered even though we won't be living there.

will we have to get seperate insurance ourselves on the property we will be renting in Longford.

Obviously we will be getting seperate insurance on the new build once complete.

thanks
G

Your old home in Dublin will require "landlord's / investment property insurance" once it is rented out (or other if it's unoccupied for a lengthy period)

You will need contents insurance for the house you rent in Longford if it's let unfurnished, otherwise no insurance as only the landlord has an insurable interest in the property and the contents (furniture, fixtures and fittings)

If you are doing a direct-labour self-build you will need some kind of "main contractor all risks" (wrong term but the closest I can get for employer's and public liability insurance on a construction site) for the new house in Longford and then regular re-build and contents insurance once you move in. If you have a main contractor over-seeing all the work you will need to check that his insurance is up to snuff, if you haven't done so already - ask to see the policy document, take a copy and ring and ask the insurer if it's current.

I'm not sure about the engagement ring.

Back