House insurance and polycarbonate roof

Attica

I have had no claims with insurance company but this year I forgot to renew before the due date. When I rang, they put me through a few questions and one came up about my sunroom which has a polycarbonate roof. They declined to give me cover, even though I had this roof (about 10% of my total roofing) for 17 years. It had never previously been mentioned as a problem.

Now I have the choice to get the roof changed, which will darken my livingroom, or to try other insurers, having been declined by one. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem with a polycarbonate roof not being insurable?

Seems strange that they wouldn't accept this (even standard insurers usually allow up to 20% of the rood to be non standard). It could be that the roof hasn't been replaced within a certain time frame, that is causing the issue. As you've been refused insurance, you now have to mention that to any new insurer as well as the roof, but in saying that there should be a number of insurers that quote.

As you've been refused insurance, you now have to mention that to any new insurer

I have always wondered what exactly constitutes being refused insurance. In this case if the insurer has not actually issued a letter declining to quote, has the OP been refused Insurance.

What would he have to tell an new insurer, perhaps," I asked XXX for a quote but they dont do polycarbonate roofs" would be adequate.

I have always wondered what exactly constitutes being refused insurance. In this case if the insurer has not actually issued a letter declining to quote, has the OP been refused Insurance.

What would he have to tell an new insurer, perhaps," I asked XXX for a quote but they dont do polycarbonate roofs" would be adequate.

That could come perilously close to a misrepresentation if it is not factually correct.

OP has not indicated why the insurers actually refused cover over the polycarbonate roof.
The answer to that could determine how best to answer the question.

The OP says that the roof is present for 17 years. How long has the house been insured with the current insurer with this roof in place ? Did OP declare the roof to the insurers in question ? If not, there may have been non-disclosure or misrepresentation under the general heading of non-standard construction as it relates to the materials of which the property is constructed. In the latter event the policy could have been voided at any time.

In the alternative, if the OP did declare the roof to the present insurers and they granted cover the underwriters' position becomes contradictory. It is also possible for insurers to change their underwriting criteria by times and that can become a bit of a problem

My suspicion is that the OP may be the victim of tick box thinking (or non thinking to be exact). I had an experience a few years ago in getting a quote for household insurance over the telephone. There was one small element of non-standard construction in terms of material in the structure. Because that did not conform with the binary "yes" or "no" checklist a quote was refused on the grounds that the risk did not conform to their risk profile or underwriting criteria or whatever.

Subsequently, I complained to the company. Surprisingly, they were one of the bigger and reputable household insurers. On examining my complaint management accepted that the non-standard material was actually a risk that they would underwrite without loading or difficulty and they formally withdrew their refusal to quote. This all happened because the service agent was a de facto robot enslaved to the computer and who had no authority to exercise proper underwriting judgment.

Getting back to cremeegg's question about refusal I always take the view that anything that could be remotely construed as a refusal must be declared as a material fact. IMHO it is just too risky to do otherwise because you leave yourself wide open to being accused of non-disclosure or misrepresentation. Insurance proposals are regarded as legally strict in terms of proper declaration of fact and information. If you declare all the material facts there is no comeback to you in relation to such matters.

PS for Attica. If you were not given a properly stated reason for the refusal push for one and challenge it as you may have been given the "tick box" treatment I described above instead of proper consideration.

BTW I thought that polycarbonate materials might well be regarded as stronger than some of the other conventional materials used to construct a sun room. If so, would they not be a better insurance risk in terms of a lower risk of damage ? The only rebuttal against that is to wonder if they are more expensive to repair or replace if they were ever damaged ?

In my experience, the 'bigger & more reputable' insurers are the one's that can fight against a claim the most, as they have legal depts and are arrogant enough to take on the regulator's. The smaller insurers don't seem to want the hassle.

Many thanks for replies. The insurance person said they just don't insure polycarbonate roofing - they accept glass, even the shed roofing you have to replace every 10 years or so- can't think of the name. I was insured for about 4 years with them and the question of a different roof for the sunroom had never previously come up. I will go back and query it again as suggested but if they still refuse, I will of course have to tell any other company about the refusal. It is annoying!

I'd imagine the issue is poly-carbonate is just too easy to cut through to be considered secure.

Back