House gone sale agreed but still so feel really unsure about selling

Mothergoose

My house has gone sale agreed. Lovely house, great location, but large 1800sq feet. Spare rooms rented out as children have left, and brings in excellent income, but while lodgers are great, I don't want to share any more.

A house with a lot of history - a renovation that went wrong about 7 years ago, and then had to have 85k of remedial work to sort it out with a trip to the High Court to get compensation. Last Christmas we had rats coming in under unsealed old drains which cost 3k to sort out, and this year the fibreglass roof, 6 years old, has developed pinhole cracking and is leaking and it's 13k to have it fixed.

I was going to downsize to an apartment, as I now work abroad and am hoping to go travelling for a year next year, but I am finding it hard to let go of my lovely house, but a house that is 1950s, and large and needs ongoing TLC, with a garden that needs cutting back and maintaining too on a regular basis.

Has anyone else here encountered issues with finding it difficult to let go of their home.

Hi,

Its only natural to feel sad about letting go of the family home but common sense must prevail. In this case the house appears to mean work and more work and more work especially for one person.

1,800 sq. ft. is far too big and must create a large heating bill as well as the maintenance. As you get older it will just get you down and probably take its toll on your health. As time goes by the burden may well make you hate the house. Having to share must be a pain at this stage of your life.

As sad as it may seem let it go. Keep you good memories close and as Leo says make new ones. Best of luck with your new purchase and move.

Has anyone else here encountered issues with finding it difficult to let go of their home.
Yes I'm right bang in the middle of making this decision. From a large sunny four bed house with many many memories.

I found a lovely sunny 2 bed apartment to let, ground floor, with terrace and small garden, phoned the auctioneer and it was gone. Had parking for 2 cars as well. It was next to perfect for what I'm looking for. I've no idea what we will do with all our stuff. And the children's 'stuff' including adult children. I'm thinking of storage for their stuff, one for each, I'll pay for x square meters for one year, then half that the following year and then zero. Any one with any tips I'd be grateful.

I've no idea what we will do with all our stuff. And the children's 'stuff' including adult children. I'm thinking of storage for their stuff, one for each, I'll pay for x square meters for one year, then half that the following year and then zero. Any one with any tips I'd be grateful.
They're adults.
Tell them to take their stuff.
If they don't, hire a skip.

It's so much better (though harder) to say goodbye to a house still associated with good memories, as opposed to being happy to be rid of it because it's become nothing but trouble. The time is right, OP. Best of luck to you in your next home.

Thanks to all of you for your replies - they're really helpful. I've moved house before but never had the same attachment as I have to this one, despite the issues I had to go through with it. It's like we've been on a journey together. I know I need to move on. I didn't think it would sell so quickly. I don't want to be maintaining a large house and garden, or dealing on my own with roofers, plumbers, etc.

@Bronte I hope you find somewhere that can accommodate you and your children's stuff. I am reluctant too to throw out art they did in 3 rd class, school journals etc. Can't part with them. Will have to sort something out though.

I am reluctant too to throw out art they did in 3 rd class, school journals etc. Can't part with them. Will have to sort something out though.
It's dreadful isn't it. We are in the same boat. Our house 2500 Sq m. Garden that is taking it's toll. Four empty bedrooms but with wardrobes full of stuff, including grandchildren's stuff. I love where I live, good neighbours, leafy suburb, close to everything.

We took a walk past the house we lived in 30 years ago last week. Huge nostalgia. My children were reared in that house for 13 years, from small to teenagers. Great memories of that house also. When we moved from that one we were upsizing and we really had to move. I was upset for some time. Now that there are only two of us with the occasional stay over, I feel I could move back to that house if it became available.

Each year we get older and it is becoming more difficult to do stuff. Our world (except for holidays) is now a local world. The plan for now is to leave things as they are and let our children hire the skip and keep what they want and dispose of the rest.

They might get one last laugh from one of their old schoolbooks or Star War figures that they find. Might even be able to sell it.

Each year we get older and it is becoming more difficult to do stuff. Our world (except for holidays) is now a local world. The plan for now is to leave things as they are and let our children hire the skip and keep what they want and dispose of the rest.
In my opinion, and having been involved in several house clearouts, there's a lot to be said for some level of "Swedish death cleaning" on the part of the still living householders. But each to their own.

Back