House for sale, long time on market!

I would offer 230k and in 3 weeks time come back and offer 250k and tell them its your last offer, they have a week to decide.

and what if an identical house down the road has an asking price of €240k? You can't go giving advice on numbers without this basic information.

I've said it before here, if you're trying to figure out what a reasonable offer is do the following:
1. Check asking prices in the area: How does the asking price compare to similar, smaller, larger, better looked after houses
2. Ring the estate agent for a number of houses in the area to see where the bidding is at and how long the house is on the market. The estate agent may even tell you straight off that the seller will accept x% less than asking
3. Check comparative rents in the area on Daft over a period. A good rule of thumb is that the interest you'd pay on a mortgage should be reasonable compared to rents being commanded for similar properties

This is the least you should do in forming an opinion on price. I repeat again, do not take heed of lazy answers

It is a 5 bed bungalow. Lawn done. Tarmac drive. She thinks about 10 yr old. On half acre site. Most of site is to the front of the house. No flowers, no garage, no shed. It was built by owner himself. Another house in same area is on market for 380,000 but has been for sale forever!.. Newly built 5 bed two storey on little estate was on market for 290,00 but now down to 250,000. What would ye all think now. This is in a tiny little village, 1 shop that sells everything and a pub. Thats about it.

Back