House extension

whiplash

Hi all, I’ve bought a house that I would like to extend. I've been looking on the likes of myhome.ie at the same type of house to see if any for sale have been extended in a view to get some ideas. I found such a house with an amazing extension on it. I went to view it and I must say it is something that I would love to do in my house.

I wrote a letter to the house owner and posted into them the next day asking who the architect was and if they could pass on the information to me as of yet I haven't heard anything back. Do i leave it and hope they call me or is there any better way to approach this?

Thanks,
Whiplash

Well - I suppose they don't have to respond to you at all! Its not like you're going to buy their house.

If the extension needed planning permission, you can contact the Local Authority and get a copy of the Planning Permission - that will very likely have details of the architect or else inspect the application - any drawings should have the architects name on it.

If no permission was needed, then its harder if the owner does not come back to you. You could tell the auctioneer that you are interested in the house but that you need evdience that the extension complies with PP and Building Regs. Thats a long shot - the auctioneer may or may not have a written confirmation from the architect confirming the position. And they may or may not give it to you.

mf

I know they dont have to since we are not in a position to buy the house. They have had offers in for more then the asking price before we decided to view the house, i dont want to mess them around. There is plenty of interest in the house so I'm sure they'll sell the house. I'm sure I am not the only person that viewed a house that they couldnt or didnt wanted to buy.....

That said thanks for your reply and advice.

Back