House Designs

hjrdee

Anybody know anywhere i can search for house plans/designs which relate to Ireland. Most of the houses I find outline seem to relate to american houses.

Title: Cork Rural Design Guide, building a new home in the countryside
Author: Cork County Council
Place/Publisher/Date: Cork County Council, 2004
Price: 20.00

This is a great book, gives lots of design ideas. Available at Blanchardstown Library

There are also a few companies around that will tender for both the planning application and the building of your house and these often have booklets of house design. It varies from area to area- so in Kerry/Limerick I know of Devon Homes, Carroll Homes and theres another one based in Killorglin, cant think of their name right now- someone else may know. But if you're based somewhere else, find out the companies that do this near you and you can apply for their brochures too.

Check out They do timber frame houses - but have loads of sample house plans / designs which may give you a few ideas.

brodiebabe said:
Title: Cork Rural Design Guide, building a new home in the countryside
Author: Cork County Council
Place/Publisher/Date: Cork County Council, 2004
Price: 20.00

This is a great book, gives lots of design ideas. Available at Blanchardstown Library

i have to disagree totally that this is a great book. in my opinion it is a complete load of crap and the only nice designs in it are the ones with red X's beside them which they consider unuitable. only buy it if you are into small bland boxes with very few tiny windows

someone else also mentioned bungalow bliss. it and most of the other similar books in easons suffer from the same problem - all the designs are 20-30 years old and quite plain.

www.irish-house-plans.com has some lovely plans as do the timber frame guys mentioned already.

eamonn66 said:
i have to disagree totally that this is a great book. in my opinion it is a complete load of crap and the only nice designs in it are the ones with red X's beside them which they consider unuitable. only buy it if you are into small bland boxes with very few tiny windows

someone else also mentioned bungalow bliss. it and most of the other similar books in easons suffer from the same problem - all the designs are 20-30 years old and quite plain.

www.irish-house-plans.com has some lovely plans as do the timber frame guys mentioned already.

I think it is a good book because it is basically what the planners are looking for. It's all very well looking at nice house plans in a different book or on a website but if they are not going to get planning permission to get built what use are they.

brodiebabe said:
I think it is a good book because it is basically what the planners are looking for. It's all very well looking at nice house plans in a different book or on a website but if they are not going to get planning permission to get built what use are they.

Not necessarily. Many of the houses on the Century homes and IJM sites are houses that have already been built and some of them on IJM were designed for costumers who then gave permission for the design to be available to sell on the site. Also, the companies themselves are well used to dealing with county planners. Not to mention the supposed "relaxation" of the planning laws, what is acceptable and what's not. Best thing to do is just talk to the company you chose to go with as well as your local area office to get an idea of what changes might need to be made to your chosen plans.

Back