House Cats

ney001

Hi

I noted recent thread about declawing cats and housecats etc - I just have a quick question about house cats. We have been living in an apartment for the past few years and have two cats. The apartment block is located on a main road in a busy town so as a result the cats became "house cats". They stay in all the time and have actually never been outside on their own. My question is this, we are now moving to a home in the country and I would like to let the cats out, how do I do this without them going missing/getting killed?, i.e is there a way to ease them into it? There isn't a whole lot of traffic, there are a lot of farms around. Me and OH are really worried that they'll be killed - they have no fear of anything and haven't a clue what a car is.

Keep them indoors for a week or two in the new house until they are settled. Then let them out into the garden for a few minutes but BEFORE feeding time - they'll explore for a bit but will be keen to come back in as soon as they see food! Keep doing this for longer and longer periods but do expect them to give you a few sleepless nights when they go walkabouts. I take it both are neteured? Also, if possible, get a cat flap fitted - preferably one with magnets so that only they can get in and out.

Bottom line though is that you can't stop them getting killed or injured but, IMHO, it's a much better quality of perhaps a shorter life to allow them to roam.

Sarah

www.rea.ie

I did this last year. I was so worried that my house cat would do a bunk when I moved. I had had to keep him at kennels for a few weeks while I was waiting for the new house to be sorted as well so he was extra-confined.

But he took to the countryside like a duck to water. I was going to keep him in but he ran outside and ran around the garden til he wore himself out and was as happy as larry. And he's still with me.

I'd only had him a year before I moved so I don't know if maybe that made a difference.

Rebecca

Hi guys

Yep both cats are neutered, one of the cats I'm not worried about as I don't think she'll wander too far on her own, however the other is a brat and will go off on her travels bringing the quiet one with her. Also, there are a few domestic cats in the area already -will they fight with mine? To be honest I doubt that they are neutered - they look a bit raggy looking. Silly I guess but we are really worried about them - we already turned down three perfect houses because they were on busy roads and the cats would get killed. I'll definitely get a cat flap fitted - they have discs etc with their name but do you think I should get the microchip done? - Also my OH wants to get them two cat leads so we can walk them around the garden until they get used to the sounds etc??? Any thoughts on this?. Thank god the house is surrounded by trees they neighbours would think we were off our heads if they saw us!
I wouldn't mind but I was always a dog person until we got these.

Thanks for advice

Hey there,

if the cats in neighbourhood are raggy looking, make sure your cats jabs and boosters are up to date. They're also something called Feline Aids out there now which attacks the immune system so just be careful you have everything covered. Not everyone takes good care of their cats not to mention all the feral cats around. So you need to do it.

I'm not sure a cat lead will endear them to their new home. Cats hate to be at someones elses beck and call! I think instead you could put them in the cat basket in the garden so they can have a look around for the first time, even for a few minutes. Then let them see you doing stuff in the garden. Cats love to see their owners working in the garden. and SarahW idea is a good one, let them out for a bit and then feed them. If they have some bed they use, put that in the garden for awhile too as it will be something familiar for them. And don't clean their bed etc before you move as it's important to have their scent on it when you move. I wouldn't worry too much, they know the hand that feeds them, so just be patient and be prepared for it to take time. Best of luck in the new home! mica

I have a 1 yr old neutered Male who has never been outside as we live in the city centre (and coz the last cat we had met a sticky end causing no end of heartbreak).

We are moving out to Tallaght soon to a house with a big garden - thought might be able to let him out - hadnt considered the fact that he has never seen a car and so has no fear of one.

I would welcome any opinions on whether after 1 yr of being indoors we should keep him that way or risk letting him out?

Hes pretty fiesty and once we got to know his personality we realised he probablywasnt the most suitable choice for a house cat (lady we got him from insisted he was a she and had even called him 'Amy' - what a name for a cat!) so I think he would enjoy outdoor life, but i also think he would not enjoy being squished by a car?

We have two females, one very quiet but we are convinced the other was a male in a previous life - she is just itching to get out and always has been. I think the main issue for me here is that I have had a couple of years now of being afraid to leave windows open and cleaning litter trays etc so I'm definitely going to have to let them out soon - I'm not buying a house (bungalow) and keeping the windows shut even in summer. I'm already dreading the thoughts of it all but I'll take advice given here and hope for the best - anyway I think that maybe with cats their survival instinct just kicks in.

Back