House buy extremely close to MetroNorth

Ali2018

Hi all, this may not be right forum so apologies in advance.

We are bidding on a house and just in the past few days we have seen the consultation planning docs for metro north showing that a new station and line will be built right behind the house, I’m talking 50 feet away. We are planning on attending one of the public consultations for more info but my question is; has anyone experience of this the first time around with the luas and if so, how noisy and inconvenient was it? Secondly, would anyone have an opinion on whether this would adversely impact the property value (the fact it’s so close).

Thanks all!

....Secondly, would anyone have an opinion on whether this would adversely impact the property value (the fact it’s so close). ...

Odds are there will be a lot of changes before they actually finalise the route and start work on the project, so much could still change.

That said, 50ft away would be far too close for my liking. In fact, 500 ft away would still be too close if it were me looking to buy, given the likely noise and increased pedestrian traffic etc.

In fact, 500 ft away would still be too close if it were me looking to buy, given the likely noise and increased pedestrian traffic etc.
And I think you also need to give consideration as to how the build phase will impact you? I am sure someone on the Naas Road can tell horror stories of the Luas works !!

That said, there is a convenience factor about being close to public transport, especially as you get older - but is it a nice you are willing to pay for the increase in noise and footfall...

Is it an overground or underground section of the metro line? The plan seems to be to run underground all the way between Charlemont and Dublin Airport. Obviously this factor will make a big difference.

If there is a station being built 50 feet from the house I don't think it would be a good place to live in, even after all construction work finishes. The new Metro stations will be a lot busier than the majority of Luas stops. It would be good to be close but not too close. There may be lucrative commercial potential in the long term but I'd guess that that's not relevant to you.

It’s at Charlemont so it’s unclesr if it’s overground or underground right at that point. I need to find out more info but as others said, the finer detail may change. It currently states it’s an underground station behind the house and it is unlikely that people will pass in front of the house because it’s a dead end.

I'd suspect the line will emerge overground south of the canal. With an underground station there is likely to be multiple entrances and who knows where they'll be. I think it would be too big a risk to purchase with so many uncertainties that will probably take years to become clear.

there's very limited places they can bring the line up to connect with the green line and they've already agreed with the developers of a new office block beside the Luas bridge at Charlemont that they will use their basement, so that section is unlikely to change radically (though some house owners in Ranelagh are threatening legal action over the route).

A relative of mine has a luas stop right at her back garden. While it's super convenient from a transport point of view, she has to deal with noise at night time from large groups waiting on a luas, all sorts of rubbish thrown in to her garden, graffiti on the wall etc etc

There are pros and cons to everything I guess.

A relative of mine has a luas stop right at her back garden. While it's super convenient from a transport point of view, she has to deal with noise at night time from large groups waiting on a luas, all sorts of rubbish thrown in to her garden, graffiti on the wall etc etc

There are pros and cons to everything I guess.

Sorry to hear that.

If she was several hundred feet further away, she probably wouldn't have any of those negatives that you refer to, but still have great convenient access.

Back