House Alarm

W

woolly

Need to get a prewired house alarmed, can I install it myself and get an electrican to ok it for insurance purposes or how does it work can any one recommed someone in the Midlands area.

You can install it itself, it's straight forward, hardest part is putting the box up outside the house, be careful.

You dont need electrician to ok it, just make sure the alarm is to IS standard, check with an electrical wholesaler (not Argos)

Insurance will accept this

I thought that most or all insurers require that it was to the required IS standard, installed by an authorised fitter and under a maintenance contract?

Not the case with the two diiferent insurance companies I have used in the last 2 years (AA & someone else).

The alarm is IS199 (not sure about the number, but it;s the right one anyhow), I installed it, tested it, and told this to them and they said righto!

Maintenance contract? sounds like a scam? Maybe they meant monitoring.

The alarm I have also monitors, when it goes off it calls me, and not some middleman who in turn rings the gaurds. Again a straightforward setup.

Not the case with the two diiferent insurance companies I have used in the last 2 years (AA & someone else).

Fair enough so.

The alarm is IS199 (not sure about the number, but it;s the right one anyhow), I installed it, tested it, and told this to them and they said righto!

Just in case it's of any relevance it looks like IS199 has been superceded by or renamed to EN50131 (presumably the European equivalent?).

Maintenance contract? sounds like a scam? Maybe they meant monitoring.

No - some insurers require that your alarm is serviced/maintained annually in order to qualify for the relevant discounts.

some insurers require that your alarm is serviced/maintained annually in order to qualify for the relevant discounts.

Particularily true in the case of commercial premises which are vacant at night.

Re: House Alarm, lots of questions:

Hi

We have an eircom phonewatch that we no longer want to have monitored is it possible to get an autodialer put into the alarm or do we need to get a whole new system. The contract is finished with eircom. Would any security company be willing to do this.

Also do people think it is essential to have an outside alarm. We only have a dummy box. Could we get an outside alarm put on our existing system?

If we get an outside alarm how long would it ring before it stops? Is this preset by the installer.

Is it possible to switch off an alarm by using a mobile phone to deactivate it?

Do the autodialers ring a mobile phone or do they send text messages only.

Thanks for any help

Re: House Alarm, lots of questions:

Also do people think it is essential to have an outside alarm. We only have a dummy box. Could we get an outside alarm put on our existing system?

Yes

If we get an outside alarm how long would it ring before it stops? Is this preset by the installer.

15 mins

Do the autodialers ring a mobile phone or do they send text messages only.

They ring

Back