Hours Worked

I am beginning to think that some people are actually proud of how much they work!!! It sounds like the 'lunch is for wimps' culture is back!

I hope not; it would be a stupid way to judge people (as bad as judging them based on what they do or what they earn).

There is nothing wrong with working hard. I have no kids yet and the reason i work hard now is that if we are lucky enough to have kids in the futute i won't have to work as hard as i'll have no car payments and only a few years left on a small mortgage.

I wonder how often do people who work the long hours log on to AAM to relax for a moment or two

I'm a 9-5 -er myself (public sector), but have a 4-day week. I re-balanced work and life a few years ago, and now work Tue-Fri only.

I love my free Mondays (think of how much we love bank holiday weekends!)....although I find that Tuesday has become the new Monday in my brain!

Also about 2.5 hours commuting time each day.

Self employed and do about 50 hrs a week, over five days. Very occasionally a 70 hr week will crop up. Once I'm indoors - no phone calls, eMails etc ....... people soon understand this and respect it. You wise up as you get older.

Like a donkey,eh? But hopefully with the hands of an artist also;)

Jeeeez! Sorry Vanilla. :eek::eek: I'll think of you the next time that I've got your namesake between two wafers!

I am beginning to think that some people are actually proud of how much they work!!! It sounds like the 'lunch is for wimps' culture is back!

I get up half an hour before I go to bed and crawl on my hands and knees to work a 48 hour day, 8 days a week. Only stopping for a beating from the boss and a handful of broken glass.

I get up half an hour before I go to bed and crawl on my hands and knees to work a 48 hour day, 8 days a week. Only stopping for a beating from the boss and a handful of broken glass.
That's nothin'! When I were a lad....

Were you the one delivering the bread in the hovis ad :confused::D
Don't know the ad, sorry.

BTW, the "Four Yorkshire Men" sketch, while covered by Monthy Python, did not first appear in Monty Python. Anyone know where it originates?

I work a 36 hour week for a PLC. 9:30 to 5:30 Monday to Friday...

I live pretty near so commute time is about 10 minutes. I am on call one week in every five but the chances of being called while on call is pretty slim.

I could work longer hours to climb the so called ladder but I am happy with where I am at the minute.

it depends what "work" is, if you have to do hard physical work i don't think you will find too many people doing extra hours, also employers would not demand it as they know there is a limit, i think the further you get from this definition the more hours people think they should put in and the more employers expect it, it is ridiculous in a way because with labour saving technology that we have had for 30 years now people should have very little work to do, its just that society has not caught up with technology, an awful lot of modern "work" is not really that essential

it depends what "work" is, if you have to do hard physical work i don't think you will find too many people doing extra hours, also employers would not demand it as they know there is a limit, i think the further you get from this definition the more hours people think they should put in and the more employers expect it, it is ridiculous in a way because with labour saving technology that we have had for 30 years now people should have very little work to do, its just that society has not caught up with technology, an awful lot of modern "work" is not really that essential

if i'm not free to do as i wish ( sleep, tv, read etc ) and am being paid i am at work. what i do during that time depends on how i am being employed.

i work about 50 hours a week for a financial firm in Dublin 2. 8am-6pm. Cycle to work about 40 minutes each way. Leave at 7 to squeeze in a shower and coffee before starting.

Leave at 7.30am home by 5.30pm most days. I'm contracted to work 41 hours a week. Don't know why it's an odd number. They get more than that out of me most weeks. Unless there's a direct correlation between take home pay and hours worked you're a mug if you stay in work. I've mostly stopped bringing work home. If you work too hard you'll literally wind up doing the work of two people and it's a nightmare reducing back down to a normal workload with people queuing up asking you to do things.

Effective people can work very modest hours. As they're not always around they don't attract distractions from their own objectives.

Contracted to do a 34 hour week. An absurdly low number and impossible to stick to, especially since the work generally involves odd hours (early mornings/nights) and one of the team has to be on call over the weekend.

Add in the fact that I still take on outside contract work during my "off" hours and it's like I never left the private sector ;-)

Back