Hours Cut in Favour of New Staff- What Can I Do?

littlegreen

Hi all. Apologies in advance for the long-windedness of this post. Trying to give as clear a picture as I can

I've been working in a bookies on and off for the past 3 years and this is my fourth summer working for them(I'm currently a full time student about to start my masters). For the past 14 months or so I've also been working weekends as another member of staff left. My hours per week have ranged from 8(in the winter)-40(summer hours)

For the evening racing during the summer an extra staff member was taken on(theres normally only 3 of us) to cover the long days. This is where the problem starts. She is now looking for part time work come Sept when the night racing is over. And from what I've been told she is going to be given the weekend hours I would normally have had and I will only get hours for the Friday night racing(approx 4 hours) and then whenever I'm needed, if I'm needed at all. And to be honst, the way the winter shifts work out I don't think there will be ANY hours for me if that is the case.

I'd just like to know what my entitlements are at this stage? Do I have any? It doesn't seem fair to me particularly as it was made clear to the newer staff member that she was only being hired for the summer and now it looks like I'm being cut to make room for her and she is getting most of the available hours.

I don't have a contract so my feeling is that there is very little I can do. Hoping someone can tell me otherwise! Thanks

If you have worked 4 years part time, you have normal employee rights

You need to speak to manager, and ask him what will be roster for next 6 months, and if he tells you hours are cut, ask why someone with newer members of staff have been given preferential treatment regarding hours

Whwn you have answers, mail them back

Back