Hours being reduced at work - responsibilities passed to another employee

Plek Trum

Hi all,

I shall be checking the standing of my situation below with [broken link removed] after lunch, but would appreciate any guidance or opinion before then.

In brief, I was headhunted for my present position as an office manager over 3 years ago. Before this, my employer did many of my duties and another staff member doubled up on reception duties and her professional position as DSA.

I came, we expanded the work place and took onboard another member of staff also to help cover Annual Leave etc. I worked (and still do) a five day week and am responsible for all aspects of the workplace, leaving my employer to come to work and leave with no added pressure.

Work has quietened and in March a floating staff member will begin maternity. My employer has decided to work elsewhere for 2 days a week during this period. This means that someone will be required to be at the office on these days but obviously it will be for limited responsibilities as our employer will be away.

I have been told that I shall be reduced to a four day week (hence reduction in salary) and that the person who originally did desk duties before I was employed will be offered this day instead so as not to be a 'day down' in wages. Just to clarify, she has been employed solely as an assistant to our employer since I was appointed and has had no dealings with my work. In effect, if our employer is away, she has no work.

We do not have written contracts. My employer has told me this is the law as the other person has been here longer, despite the fact that this person has not done these duties for the last 3 years.

I would appreciate any feedback on this situation. I realise that it may be best practice (and know that the word "fair" often has no place in employment law) but would appreciate if anyone has any legal knowledge or opinion.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
For those of you interested (which apparently isn't many at all.. !) I was informed of the following:

1) There is no such 'law' that states a 'first in - last out' policy
2) If there are changes in work such that employees are not required then changes / closed days can be appointed by employer
3) Changes to employment (e.g reduction in working hours and pay) must be done with agreement by both parties, based on contracts and / or 'past procedures'.

Deepest apologies for not answering earlier ......

Employer will need your consent on this, don,t know too much about work arrangements in your job ...

Back