Hotel Rip Off In Kilkenny any ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

procus

Just thought I'd mention it , my wife went to book Langtons Hotel in Kilkenny for a saturday night in May 2007 for 3 people. She was quoted 300 Euro For 1 Night! for a triple room that included breakfast. It's no wonder nobody holidays in Ireland anymore! What a RIP OFF!

Can anyone recommend any B&B's near the centre of Kilkenny that are a bit cheaper

Thanks

oh that has been going on for a long time rip off stay away

You could stay in the Days Hotel, it only opened earlier this year so is in good condition and they advertise rooms for €69 a night. You'd get a taxi into town for €5 or €6 or you could walk it's about 10-15mins walk to the Centre.

Hi Procus,
We were very fortunate to have found a nice B&B practically city-centre called Knockavon House. It is less than a 5 minute walk to the castle and very reasonable indeed. If u would like their number and two other places which you could stay send me a quick note.

Just thought I'd mention it , my wife went to book Langtons Hotel in Kilkenny for a saturday night in May 2007 for 3 people. She was quoted 300 Euro For 1 Night! for a triple room that included breakfast. It's no wonder nobody holidays in Ireland anymore! What a RIP OFF!

Can anyone recommend any B&B's near the centre of Kilkenny that are a bit cheaper

Thanks
It's not a rip-off if she was clearly quoted a price up front. Expensive maybe. But not a rip-off.

Thanks for all the replies some good tips there, not too sure about clubmans response, he must be in the money if he thinks 300 euro for a room for a night is not a total rip off !

The Europa is a nice spot, equally so The River Court, probably cheaper than 300 a nigth.

Thanks for all the replies some good tips there, not too sure about clubmans response, he must be in the money if he thinks 300 euro for a room for a night is not a total rip off !
It would be a rip-off if she was quoted some lower price but was charged €300 on checking out. If she is quoted €300 up front and thinks that it's too pricey and decides to take her custom elsewhere then that's a different matter. No rip-off. I don't know why some people seem to have such a problem with this obvious distinction between high prices and genuine rip-offs to be honest.

We had a delegation booked into Days in Kilkenny for a Saturday night (on the way from Abbeyfeale). We arrived to find our rooms gone and a subsequent search of Kilkenny turned up nothing, thankfully we found a great B+B, in Carlow! The same nonsense happened in Limerick the previous night - how often does this junk happen that the Hotel "loses" your booking despite having received a booking fee and issuing a booking confirmation - oh, and still waiting for the refund, since October!

Go on to any hotel booking website and you will soon find out that it is very easy to spend €300 on a hotel room nowadays. This isn't just an Irish phenomenon either.

The Clubhouse Hotel (Patrick Street) and the Kilford Arms (John's Street)advertise much lower rates that you were quoted and both are in the city centre. The Kilford is just up the street from Langtons.

By the way Langtons would'nt be the dearest in Kilkenny!

It would be a rip-off if she was quoted some lower price but was charged €300 on checking out. If she is quoted €300 up front and thinks that it's too pricey and decides to take her custom elsewhere then that's a different matter. No rip-off. I don't know why some people seem to have such a problem with this obvious distinction between high prices and genuine rip-offs to be honest.

Definition of a rip off from Chambers

RIP OFF. noun 1 an act or instance of stealing from someone, or cheating or defrauding them, etc. 2 an item which is outrageously overpriced.

http://www.chambersharrap.co.uk/chambers/features/chref/chref.py/main?query=rip+off&title=21st

300 Euro For 1 Night for a triple room is clearly outrageously overpriced to me.

Murt

What about the Kilkenny Inn Hotel they do some triple rooms rooms and are 70 euro per person per night their web-site is Kilkennyinnhotel.com.

I have stayed in this b&b http://www.laraghhouse.com/ It's about a 7 minute walk into town. It doesn't look much from the outside, but the rooms would be up to hotel standard. I would never pay hotel prices in Kilkenny while this b&b is available.

Re: Rip off, 3 of us stayed in an Hotel in Eyre Square in Galway for the Galway races where we payed €300 for a triple room. By comparison I would definetly consider Langtons a rip off.

try Zuni in the middle of Kilkenny, fab restaurant downstairs, nice quiet little bar out front, rooms a little dark but v. comfortable and a good power shower. We paid 60e per person.

Lysa.

Also, most hotels charge a premium if you only want to stay one night of a weekend. I think this is perfectly fair...it'll be a lot harder for them to let a room to two groups on a Friday and a Saturday. Doubt you'd be quoted 300 a night for the Friday and the Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back