Hotel in Rome

We stayed in Hotel Daphne at Piazza Barberini and found it excellent. It's very central and staff are great for recommendations.

we stayed in a b+b close to the main train station. It was called Giovy so check it out on trip advisor as op said it is a great resourse. It had a good size room and breakfast was good and it was around 90 euro for the room and breakfast for 2. The lady of the house was exelent for information and there was 2 good restaurants in the street. You could walk to the collusuem in 10 mins. It was very handy to be close to the train station as it meant we could use the underground to go everywhere and it cut out the use of taxis. 2 irish bars also 5 mins walk if you interested in that. I had read that the area around the train station was seedy but we found it fine. As I say check the reviews and if you are looking for somewhere that is clean and nice it is good value.

Stayed in Albergo Del Senato in early Jan. It is in Piazza Del Rotunda and looks out onto the Pantheon - great location - lovely hotel.
You will get better value around the train station but IMHO the area is a bit more rundown and I wouldnt feel as safe at night.
For a much better location (and a bit more €) you should look for a hotel somewhere in the triangle between Piazza Navonna - Piazza Venizia - Spainish Steps.

Check out [broken link removed] They have a hotel called the Grand Olympic literally 5 minutes walk from the Vatican. We stayed there last Novenber (2007).

I stayed in the 4* Artemide on the Via Nazionale over the Oct bank holiday and loved it.
The hotel was on a lovely street with nice selection of bars and restaurants including an Irish bar if you are so inclined ;)
It was centrally located, the bedroom was a good size, the staff were very friendly and also a free mini bar was provided (which included a couple of cans of beer, coke and water) and was restocked every day.

I stayed at the Residenza Paolo VI - wow - it has the most amazing city view. You have a roof top terrace with spectacular views over St. Peter's Square and Rome. I loved sitting up there in the evening with a glass of wine and just admiring. My room was not large and had a vaguely monastic feel to it (no surprise as it was a monastery) but it was beautifully decorated and luxuriously comfortable and very quiet. Breakfast was delicious. Staff were friendly and helpful. It is a small hotel (29 rooms) and it is actually part of the Vatican, walk out the front door and you are in St. Peter's Square. At night the area is quiet and I felt entirely comfortable around there. It wasn't cheap, but at the same time it was well within my budget and I didn't have an excessive one (can't remember the cost though so I won't guess).

Last edited:
Have a look at Hotel St. Anselmo in Rome, fabulous as well. Spent a few days there as part of our honeymoon 2 years ago and loved it!

Am going to Rome next month and found that for a group of three, an apartment was a cheaper/better option than three single hotel rooms.

just stayed in the Franklin Feel the sound Rome, last weekend, 5 minute walk to the vatican really cool hotel (disco ball in the bathroom). Bang and olufsen cd players in all rooms jundreds of cds in the lobby to choose from.

reasonable enough as well.

hi, looking for a hotel aswell. Hoping to be near one of those hop-on-hop-off bus stops. Franklin Feel looks fab but from reviews is quite far out and in very quiet area.

Hi.

I stayed at the Hotel 47 and found it great. It is a boutique hotel with a great location. It is a very modern contemporary hotel and had good in room facilities. There is a small (expensive) bar in the hotel but really we just used the hotel as a base.

Hotel Planet. VERY basic - but cheap and very central. Google it and it is available on quite a few booking sites. They give better rates if you email them directly and say you'll pay in cash!!

Now- remember I said basic. Clean, but basic and central.

Stayed in Albergo Del Senato in early Jan. It is in Piazza Del Rotunda and looks out onto the Pantheon - great location - lovely hotel.
I stayed here in June. Brilliant location if a bit pricey. It's very central so one can walk everywhere (Vatican 25 mins, Colosseum 20 mins, most other places five or 10 minutes). Stayed on the fourth floor looking out at the Pantheon, very impressive.

[broken link removed]

I stayed here while on business. It was recommended by our local rep. Might be a bit on the expensive side for a personal trip though but worth looking for reduced rates. A period house with modern fittings in a nice location.

I stayed in a self catering apartment while in Rome, It was fantastic, spotless a beautiful apartment and so central, right beside the pantheon. It worked out way cheaper than a hotel would have. You should think about it.

Gig,

Hotel Olympic is close to Vatican and is just round the corner from the hop on-hop off bus. Mentioned it in my post of 21/01.

Back