Hotel for Valentine's 2009?

Can anybody recommend a hotel for Valentine's 2009? We are both living in Dublin but are from Limerick and Clare so all three of those counties are out. Ideally it wouldn't be more than a 2 hour drive from Dublin and we were recently in Kilkenny so would like to avoid there as well. Doesn't have to be a 5 star hotel but just somewhere nice for a relaxing weekend.

Cliff House Hotel, Ardmore, Co Waterford- friends just back from there raving about it..

The new Sheraton hotel in Athlone is really nice!
Fabulous pool and spa and only an hours drive from Dublin!

Thanks for all the replies. We decided to book the Four Seasons in Carlingford as we remembered we had a voucher from Bank of Ireland for a number of select hotels in Ireland. Unfortunately the mentioned hotels above weren't on the list. Has anybody been before and if so what is it like?

Have you already booked the hotel??
Because if i was you i would go either a few weeks before valentines or a few weeks after.......Valentines day has turned in to such a money spinner for hotels....
with there special v.day menu's etc....
It may be more enjoyable and defo more romantic on a weekend away -thats not valentines weekend!!

Totally agree with previous poster.
They usually have a Valentines menu which in my experience is usually the cheaper ingredients tarted up and a premium put on it.
Go 2 weeks before or after, say it's your anniversary and you'll get better food and service!

well i haven't stayed in the four seasons carlingford but i've gone in for a coffee, look around.

how they managed to get away with using the four seasons name i don't know - don't expect four seasons standards of location, hotel furnishings, service or style.

it's certainly a nice hotel - i'd call it good 3 star - there is a leisure centre which looks reasonable if overrun. we went in on a sunday afternoon and the place was thronged with people in the carvery for sunday lunch so it's obviously popular - but i wouldn't have called it a relaxing romantic valentine type experience.

not doing a downer on the hotel - just don't expect the US Four Seasons type hotel

my suggestion to you would be Castle Durrow in Laois - only 1 hour away from Dublin - quiet, relaxing, great rooms, great food and doing good deals at the mo (I have no affiliation but am biased as I have been there on a number of occasions including my own wedding reception!)

Back