Hot Water Issue

whiplash

Hi all, have a bit of a problem with our hot water. Last night I had a shower which runs off the mains water. During the shower the water stopped flowing. Turned off shower got out and tried the hot water tap in the sink no water flowing from it either but when I changed over to the cold tap water flows fine.

Thinking I've an airlock the next morning I went down to the kitchen to our mixer tap and opened up the hot water and put my hand over the opening to block any water coming out and turned on the cold water tap.

After a minute or so or when I couldn't hold the water back anymore i stopped. Turned back on the hot water and water started to flow but after about one minute or so it just stopped again.

Any ideas what is wrong here?? Is it possible to use up all your hot water while having a shower? I would have thought that it would just turn cold but not stop flowing??

As you can tell I'm not very clued up on the plumbing end of things.

Thanks in advance of your help.

Whats the make and model of shower?

Check your big tank in attic for water. you may have a stuck/frozen ballcock, if so, wiggle it to free it up.

same thing is happening to me at the moment. We have only partial water due to the Co. Co. turning down water pressure and our tank not being able to fill up. Our pressure is bad here anyway without them turning it down further. Am now at the mercy of them.

Thanks for the replies.

The shower we have is a rain type shower with a big head on it, also there is a pump for extra power.

I will get up into the attic when I get home later and check it out to see if its filling up.

I checked the water tank in the attic and its full up. Tried again to cover the tap downstairs to try get rid of air lock but again after 1 min of hot water it stops flowing again. No hot water upstairs or downstairs or in the shower...

Next step plumber ?

Back