Hot Rads...Cold Water

A

ABYR

Anyone got any ideas as to why my gas heating won't heat up the water as well. We've moved into new house and ahve this problem. Is there something that we should be doing so that the tank heats up when the heating is on. have had to use immersion last few days and not too impressed. A guy from the site is going to take a look at it this week hopefully but just though that there was some sort of switch we should be pressing to heat the water when Gas heating is on....the rads are really hot, so the heating is working ok.

Cheers

some sort of switch?

...or more likely a tap - the big valve-type ones - near the base of your immersion tank. But best check this with the guy on site, or someone with a bit of plumbing know-how. If you close the wrong valve you could cause serious damage! :eek

It's a cut off valve beside your water heater tank in the hot press, fortunately, it's something that can be sorted quickly & cheaply!

Actually it's very handy, because we use it in reverse in the summer, turn the heat off and use the boiler to heat the hot water on timer, the gas works out cheaper than the immersion imo.

Actually it's very handy, because we use it in reverse in the summer, turn the heat off and use the boiler to heat the hot water on timer, the gas works out cheaper than the immersion imo.

How would I know which is the correct gate valve to turn off i the summer so that the water is heated but not the rads? There are about three in my hot press

if you have a wall mounted thermostat for your upstairs/downstairs rads you could just use that instead. Turn the temp on them totally down and then the pumps for the rads up and down will not kick in and it will only be water you are heating...

Re: ..

Well in our house, it's a big red lever near the floor level behind the tank

Best get a professional to check it out though, just in case!

Re: ..

We have 3 switches in the hotpress. All with levers, saying Auto and Manual. 2 of them were on Auto and one was on Manual, so last night i turn the 3rd one onto Auto. All 3 are on Auto now. Are these the types of levers you are talking about. Had hot water this morning, but not too sure if its as a result of having the immersion on yesterday morning and the water still being hot in the tank, or if my click of the 3rd lever to Auto has worked.! Any ideas?

They would be the pumps me thinks..you'd have a pump for upstairs rads, downstairs rads and hot water...
Not sure if it woul dhave been your problem to be honest. The gate vales would be taps that are part of the copper piping flow.

AB, buzz Emmet (Plumber) 087 9674928. Hes snagging on site at d mo and will sort it.. He'll also rig a tap to the back garden if needed...

Back