Hornby Digital / Hornby Electric train set.

senni

Last Year my 9 year old asked for a Thomas Electric Train set by Hornby. This year he wants to upgrade to a Hornby 00 Gauge Digital Train Set. ( he plays for hours with them and respects them, )

Questions

1.Will last years Thomas Train work on the new Digital set ?

2.Will a new Hornby R9049 Henry 00 Gauge Locomotive work on Hornby R1125 Somerset Belle 00 Gauge Digital (DCC) Train Set ?

3. Do i need to buy anything else for these trains to work on a digital train track ?

Any information would be helpful as i am trying to educate myself as i know that the next few years ....hes going to ask for MORE HORNBY TRAINS !!!!

Answer is no. Each train in a digital set has its own decoder which allows it to be controlled.
You could possibly fit a decoder to the older train.
DCC sets work with a constant voltage applied to the rails and the decoder on the train controls whether it is to work or not
[broken link removed]

Not sure how easy it would be to fit a decoder. Some have a socket to plug in the decoder , others you have to cut wires and solder it in place.

The other short answer is yes.

Any DC train/loco will run with DCC, the only catch is that, with constant power and voltage on the track, you can only run one DC loco at a time (digital address zero ).

Ideally, you can 'upgrade' DC locos to run on DCC by adding a decoder - this can be relatively cheaply done by people like themodelshop.ie / modelshopbelfast.com, etc (no affiliation)

HTH,
Stephen

It's fairly simply once you get up and running, and a lot more flexible that DC / Analog systems too :)

My kids mix digital and analog thomas trains without issues with a horby dcc controller, all works fine.

It's probably also worth a mention that DCC digital locomotives will also work fine on DC / Analog powered track.

so would you recommend i go ahead and ask SANTY !! for the Digital train ... he can mix and match together ???

Have you bought off the model shop .. i never knew it existed , which is a pity as I have always purchased through amazon or Hornby direct...but i like the idea of keeping my money in Ireland ...

Should i take a trip up to this shop in Dublin as i live in Offaly.

could i sqeeze in another question ... The thomas train he has squeaks alot going around the track ..i have tried to loosen tindals but it makes no difference ...what would you do ?

Thanks again ....

Back