Homeowners have to pay management charge

kevinc

[broken link removed]

Seems mad that the 6 house owners have to pay the management fee. I know its becoming more normal but still mad.

It looks like there are common areas, like the underground carpark, an OMC seems like a good way to ensure these are properly maintained to me? Assuming the OMC is properly handed over to the owners, then this really shouldn’t be a big deal and the annual fee is likely to be very small.

It is a single structure containing a mix of different sized individual properties. The "house"s are not separate standalone structures. The whole building is managed, why should the "house" owners(? - I suspect everyone will actually be leaseholders actually) benefit at the expense of the "apartment" owners? Essentially these are all apartments just some of them are rather large, multi-level apartments.

It looks like there are common areas, like the underground carpark, an OMC seems like a good way to ensure these are properly maintained to me? Assuming the OMC is properly handed over to the owners, then this really shouldn’t be a big deal and the annual fee is likely to be very small.
€800 annual fee is the equivalent to €80,000 extra on the purchase price. That's the way people should think about it. I think people should avoid houses with management's charges where possible (and consequently avoid common areas that can't be taken over by the council.)

Basically the house owners are on the hook for the sinking fund for the apartments. Plenty of other developments like this in dublin pulling a a similar scam with houses and apartments are both paying management changes.

A lot of new estates are private , it was a condition of planning so there are mgt fees

[broken link removed]

Seems mad that the 6 house owners have to pay the management fee. I know its becoming more normal but still mad.

It is far from mad, these fees take care of insurance, common areas, grass cutting and disposal, cleaning of common areas etc, don't buy there if you don't like it but if you do then pay the charges, they keep values up for everyone in the development.

It is far from mad, these fees take care of insurance, common areas, grass cutting and disposal, cleaning of common areas etc, don't buy there if you don't like it but if you do then pay the charges, they keep values up for everyone in the development.

I never will.
For a house: common areas ie parkland and grass cutting should be the responsibility of the council and always was. Insurance for 3rd party liability on common areas are also usually council responsibility. So the management charge is really a subsidy for the apartment owners as clearly they have genuine common areas eg halls, common roof, underground car park maintenance etc.

or have i missed something?

So the management charge is really a subsidy for the apartment owners as clearly they have genuine common areas eg halls, common roof, underground car park maintenance etc.

In the example above, are the underground spaces not used by the house owners?
Are you familiar with the development?

Essentially these are all apartments just some of them are rather large, multi-level apartments.

Agreed, looking at the photo of the front of the building it's difficult to see how any of the units can be described as houses.

So the management charge is really a subsidy for the apartment owners as clearly they have genuine common areas eg halls, common roof, underground car park maintenance etc.

or have i missed something?

As well as the underground spaces that RedOnion has mentioned I would guess that the Management Company are responsible for the roof and external walls of the whole building.

Interesting, where are you getting that figure of €80,000 from. I think it is quite wrong.

You'd need to lodge €80k in the bank earning 1% interest a year (and you cant even get that now) to pay the €800 management charge "forever."

when you buy the freehold you buy "forever"

So €800pa is equivalent to €80k extra on the property price. ie €700k plus €800pa is almost equivalent to €780k and no man charge.

In the example above, are the underground spaces not used by the house owners?
Are you familiar with the development?
No, not familiar. Just have a problem with the idea of management charges on "houses" and/or green areas.

No, not familiar. Just have a problem with the idea of management charges on "houses" and/or green areas.
I did wonder if you had even seen them when you were talking about green areas...

It's a really bad example to have a discussion about management fees on 'houses'. These share a roof area with the apartments. Common underground car park. All properties have an external storage unit. Shared outdoor lighting. Etc.

Have a look for a better example if you'd like a discussion.

You'd need to lodge €80k in the bank earning 1% interest a year (and you cant even get that now) to pay the €800 management charge "forever."

when you buy the freehold you buy "forever"

So €800pa is equivalent to €80k extra on the property price. ie €700k plus €800pa is almost equivalent to €780k and no man charge.
Apologies. You are correct.

I did wonder if you had even seen them when you were talking about green areas...

It's a really bad example to have a discussion about management fees on 'houses'. These share a roof area with the apartments. Common underground car park. All properties have an external storage unit. Shared outdoor lighting. Etc.

Have a look for a better example if you'd like a discussion.

Knockrabo? Fairways? Farmleigh Park? All have houses with a hefty management charge. Looks like all you get in return in the grass cut (and technically insurance on the private common areas). The bins get collected in Knockrabo, but they increased the man charge by 200 to cover that.

Yes, but on the flip-side, when you buy free-hold you also take on all maintenance costs.
you take on most maintenance costs with these houses with management charges too? I just don't like man charges ( as you can tell!).

you take on most maintenance costs with these houses with management charges too? I just don't like man charges ( as you can tell!).

That's fair enough, it's up to any prospective owner to evaluate whether the upkeep and maintenance covered by the management charge is worth it. Some developments likely offer better value than others. I haven't seen enough information on the extent of the services or level of the charges for this development to have any sense of value.

Private developments where houses fund an OMC are nothing new, in developments such as this one where there is shared underground parking, it is the only solution as a local authority will never take those in charge.

Back