Homeowner, Tenant or Other?

wanderer

If one's spouse has a mortgage in his/her name only.
Subsequently you marry.

There is no change in title/mortgage etc.

Are you now a homeowner or a tenant or other?

P.S. This is in terms of any paperwork that needs to be filled in, in terms of loans and other items.

My guess would be that the Family Home Act would apply and therefore you are considered to be joint owner of the home. So in that case I would put down homeowner.

You are not a homeowner.
The Family Home Protection applies because you a non owing spouse - meaning that any further loan secured on the property requires your consent.

Divorce and separation - separate matter not assumed to be of interest.

My guess would be that the Family Home Act would apply and therefore you are considered to be joint owner of the home. So in that case I would put down homeowner.

The Family Home Protection act does not give you ownership rights. Nor does marriage confer ownership rights. Contributing to the mortgage may give you ownership rights in the future.

If one's spouse has a mortgage in his/her name only.
Subsequently you marry.

There is no change in title/mortgage etc.

Are you now a homeowner or a tenant or other?

P.S. This is in terms of any paperwork that needs to be filled in, in terms of loans and other items.

You're clearly not a tenant, nor are you an owner. So other is the answer.

Having said that, if you give us the context, it might clear it up. For example when applying for a loan, being a home owner is more beneficial (in general).

Family Home Protection act does not give you ownership rights
The house can't be sold / mortgaged without the spouses consent so it does give some pretty strong rights in that regard.

As far a loans etc., are concerned, put yourself down as home owner.

Back