Home wind turbine

House is 500sqm
Big is an understatement, that's huge!! :p But based on that size, your energy usage is not actually that bad per sqm and you are comfortably in an A2 BER rating. Your GSHP is clearly working very efficiently so my suggestions above might not be as impactful knowing the size of the house. No harm in reducing stats while maintaining comfort but your main issue is that you have so much space to heat.

great map - if I am reading it correctly the windspeed for our location is 5m/s at 20m.
That is how I would read it, you should only look at the 20m level for domestic wind turbines so maybe at 5m/s it is a feasible option for you.

It might also be worth looking at historical MET data and windspeeds at your nearest weather station to understand the seasonality of the windspeed. My understanding is that it is fairly consistent throughout the year with a slight increase over winter months. This at least makes it a better fit to work with a heat pump as opposed to using solar PV.

not entirely a financial decision - I understand the payback period can make for questionable financial common sense and I'm ok with that.

We do heat the whole home and have zoned control so tend to have the bedrooms cooler for example.

Day / night breakdown is about 60:40
That's grand so.

With that much electricity demand during the daytime and such high electricity usage overall, solar will likely make a lot of sense for you.

If you're financially motivated, the best return on investment is a small array with no battery etc. Best potential to immediately use the majority of the electricity you generate, which saves a lot more money than feeding back to the grid (once this starts) or charging a battery to use at night time.

If you're not financially motivated and as your house likely has a lot of roof space, a large array on the south, SE / SW roof would be a very good start.

Hi ABM community,
I am considering installing a wind turbine to contribute toward powering our home and lower our energy bills. We have a large elevated site are are not overlooked so I expect we will have 'good wind'. The idea would be to install a reasonably big unit e.g. ~4kw hooked up to a battery pack that is smart integrated into powering our home. We use quite a lot of electricity - est. 20k KWH p.a. and I expect this will increase over time as we switch to electric cars. I also heard that it may be an option to sell an excess power generated back to the grid in the future?

Greatly appreciate any insights on from anyone who has a similar setup around costs, recommended suppliers / fitters, grants and anything else that I should take into account?
Hi bigred, i have a 6kw wind turbine installed about 13 years now in donegal. Self install on a good site. You will be looking at between €30 to 34 grand installed on a 15 metre tower. On a good site it will get you approx half of your consumpsion a year.

Hi bigred, i have a 6kw wind turbine installed about 13 years now in donegal. Self install on a good site. You will be looking at between €30 to 34 grand installed on a 15 metre tower. On a good site it will get you approx half of your consumpsion a year.

I'm sure experience would be very interesting to hear. Could you give some background as to your reasons for setting it up and how you have found it over the last few years in terms of maintenance, noise issues, downtime, payback etc. ? Do you use it in conjunction with battery storage? Thanks

I'm sure experience would be very interesting to hear. Could you give some background as to your reasons for setting it up and how you have found it over the last few years in terms of maintenance, noise issues, downtime, payback etc. ? Do you use it in conjunction with battery storage? Thanks
Hi, i have always liked mechanical machinery. I did not go with a battery storage setup because the turbine can produce power round the clock for days sometimes. Different to solar. I have a solar diverter that puts excess power into a 500 litre tank with a 3kw immersion. And any excess goes to the grid. Used to get well paid for excess but thats all changing.
Self use is a priority. I lower it every 2 years to sevice.

Hi Pkmwgs, thanks for the reply - great info. Any chance you could DM me the name of the supplier / fitter?

Recommendations may only be provided by members with tenure, and must be made publicly.
Its a proven 6kw. They have ceased trading under that name, but changed name a few times and are still producing the same machines.
I hope its okay to name the original manufacturer.

Back