Home study child care/Health care

janedoe06

Hi there has anyone heard of this college ollege of Progressive Education, formerly the School of Practical Child Care, and the School of Health and Social Care, Ireland

http://www.learn4good.com/distance_...childcare_healthcare_certificate_courses.html

as it says its FETAC accredited and am thinking of doing some Home care study , cause i'd think i'm suffering Burn out in IT
And due to recent illness want to change my direction in life and do more rewarding work

Regards

Hi that link does not seem to be working properly, what is the name of the course?

Sorry oops the link did'nt work u're right
The course was /is
Home Study Child Care & Health Care Courses its a

Home Study Child Care & Health Care Courses

[broken link removed]

i found it on http://www.learn4good.com website

Hi
thanks for replying

when u say it was reasonably priced did it help u to move into the health care area
or were u in this area already

I guess i'm saying i'd like to do an online course
but dont want to spend too much , as i would be going for surgery again next year so dont want to commit to something that has to be done with in a certain period of time

when u say feedback was good from college was that feedback all online based

or did u have any opportunity to meet some tutors face to face

As it says on site u get an introductory pack, a textbook, a series of modules reflecting the topics covered in the course

Nowadays you shouldnt really be looking at anything less than Fetac level 5, thats the way the regulations are starting to go so eventually you will need to have this to work in Childcare. as far as i can see the College of progressive Ed only offer this by module, rather than the whole course. this would work out quite expensive as you need to have 6-8 modules done to complete the course.
I personally would only consider someone for a Child care position with at least 6 modules of Level 5 done
Another alternative is to do it by night, 2 nights a week for 2 years. the course is split so you could do one half one year and you dont necessarily have to do the other half the next year, you could defer. The first year alone would be enough to get you a Junior job in Childcare.
Most creches take on a limited number of trainees, so essentially you could leave your job now, start with a creche and start teh coure in September. That way you are getting practical training as well as theory training.
Some creches will subsidise this training also, provided you stay with them for the duration of the course(otherwise you pay it back).
College of Progressive Education is a recognised college in Childcare and somebody would not be turned down with a Diploma or Cert from here. However for somebody just starting out I think it would be best to go with the Fetac Level 5 in line with current and changing regulations.
Hope this helps if you need any more info let me know.
pS what area are you in?

Thanks all

I Went onto the [broken link removed]

to see if The FETEC award providing home care was listed and cannot find it

it says on FETAC site that
The FETAC (NCVA) level 5 certificate will be awarded to a candidate who reaches the required standard in modules whose total value are at least 8 and which include:
5 Vocational modules (including mandatory and elective modules)
2 General Studies modules (one of which must be communications)
1 Work Experience module.

Yet that school says :Record of Achievement (Modular Certificate) in Caring for People with Disabilities, FETAC Level 5 so am i right say that that is'nt really a Level 5 Cert , But just 1 in the 8 modules

Maybe i'm wrong here

Last edited:
yeah your right it is just one module, that is why it could work out really expensive to do the Level 5 with that school. they charge by module, rather than an overall fee for the whole course.

Check out also Kilroys College, and other distance learning colleges. Check out also British colleges, it doesn't always matter where they're based if the course is online/correspondence.
Good Luck with all
Jay;)

Well actually it sort of does matter if its not a FETAC Level 5 course; anybody leaving school today who wants to go into Childcare will be told to do a FETAC Level 5, as I have said you will eventually need to have this to work in Childcare. Most employers in Chi8ldcare are going to take a FEtac 5 qualified person, over somebody who has a Certificate from an unheard of or unrecognised college in England. A lot of these colleges offer their own award, rather then the FETAC.

I agree, FETAC is the best recognised Childcare qualification in Ireland.

County Childcare Committees throughout Ireland are running these courses free locally on a part-time basis.

Contact them first before handing money over to do it privately.

Back