Home Security Providers

redwellies

We currently have a wired alarm system that we have not used for years. We have young kids and dogs so there’s always someone awake or not far off it. We are hoping to upgrade to a system that we can monitor from our phones. We don’t see the point in having new sensors fitted as what we have is ok. Can the main control box be replaced and a new system work off the original sensors?
Failing that, can anyone recommend a Home Security System / service that doesn’t cost us the usual €30 a month.
Has anyone sourced their own system and fitted it themselves?
I’m not sure if this is in the right forum. Please move it if needs be.
Thanks in advance.

If you do a DIY installation then your insurer will almost certainly not recognise it and give a discount for it in case that's of any relevance here.

Yes, the insurers will expect evidence of regular professional maintenance, but not alone that, they can refuse cover for a claim if the alarm was not alarmed when the event occurred.

In many cases the existing sensors will be fine, assuming they are all working correctly. The wired sensors aren't all that expensive though, so you could consider upgrading window sensors to include inertia detection if not already fitted. Some of the electrical wholesalers like Kellihers stock their gear.

I've installed a couple of few HKC systems and they're pretty straight forward. There are a couple of professional installers who regularly contribute to the Boards Home Security forum and can help if you hit snags.

Yes, the insurers will expect evidence of regular professional maintenance, but not alone that, they can refuse cover for a claim if the alarm was not alarmed when the event occurred.
I don't ask for the alarm discount on the insurance as it gives them a potential out. We have a HKC system that we self-monitor by mobile. The subscription for this is about €67 annually. Also, there is a once off cost for each phone app - about €8.

I don't ask for the alarm discount on the insurance as it gives them a potential out. We have a HKC system that we self-monitor by mobile. The subscription for this is about €67 annually. Also, there is a once off cost for each phone app - about €8.
Could you PM the details of the company you use? We are in North Kildare. I don’t fancy signing up to a package that is going to cost us close to €400 a year. We aren’t exactly dripping in valuables. My phone is probably as good as it gets.

Another one here not getting the alarm discount with their insurance
My alarm is 25+ years old and I figured if I was to get a new alarm and have it serviced every year, the discount offered by the insurance company would have taken more than a decade to pay for the instal and servicing
But what we did get a couple of years ago was a Google nest door bell, if somebody walks anywhere near the front door we get a notification on the phone which is good to know when we're not there and it really came in handy when we were both in Spain earlier this year, we'd get a notification when the postman called and then we were able to tell someone when there was post to be collected and the bonus is it was much cheaper than a new alarm
The only downside was Mrs C caught me on video sneaking some bike related purchase into the house one day :rolleyes:

Could you PM the details of the company you use? We are in North Kildare.
The company would be of no use to you there as we are out west. Nearly all independent installers will do HKC systems. However, I had to shop around as some of them were not interested unless I was also engaging them for monitoring and/or a maintenance contract. I only wanted the self-monitoring. Check when you call them.

Last edited:
Another one here not getting the alarm discount with their insurance
My alarm is 25+ years old and I figured if I was to get a new alarm and have it serviced every year, the discount offered by the insurance company would have taken more than a decade to pay for the instal and servicing
But what we did get a couple of years ago was a Google nest door bell, if somebody walks anywhere near the front door we get a notification on the phone which is good to know when we're not there and it really came in handy when we were both in Spain earlier this year, we'd get a notification when the postman called and then we were able to tell someone when there was post to be collected and the bonus is it was much cheaper than a new alarm
The only downside was Mrs C caught me on video sneaking some bike related purchase into the house one day :rolleyes:
Anecdotally, I know of some very disgruntled people who have video evidence of their very drunk other halves falling in the door at all hours. Ignorance is bliss sometimes, for everyone’s sake!

Could you PM the details of the company you use?
We encourage public naming of recommended suppliers here so that others can benefit.

You should refer to the list of approved installers on the PSA site and request some of the local ones to quote you. It is illegal to hire a non-approved contractor to install security equipment.

Back