Home security camera / doorbell

pat1019

I want to put a security camera on the front of our house (as a deterrent to intruders).
I saw a video clip a few days ago on our neighbourhood-watch Facebook page of an intruder doing a 360 when they saw the house had a doorbell camera.

Any recommendations? I'm in two minds about a CCTV-type camera or one of the doorbell cameras with a good range.
Ideally, battery operated with no wires, and no need for house WiFi to be switched on 24/7.

I have the eufy one, it stores it locally on a hub in your house (not stored on the cloud, and no subscription fee). I later added their door open/close sensors. I think they also have CCTV cameras you can use along with it but haven't tried it myself.

I want to put a security camera on the front of our house (as a deterrent to intruders).
I saw a video clip a few days ago on our neighbourhood-watch Facebook page of an intruder doing a 360 when they saw the house had a doorbell camera.

Any recommendations? I'm in two minds about a CCTV-type camera or one of the doorbell cameras with a good range.
Ideally, battery operated with no wires, and no need for house WiFi to be switched on 24/7.
Surely it was a 180 or he'd be back where he started?

CCTV is "closed circuit" and by nature stays off wifi and internet, but it's fully wired and a much more expensive approach

If you're going to get a "consumer-grade" one, then you'll need WiFi switched on 24/7 - thats how they work and communicate between devices.

Other brands to Euphy; Ring, Arlo, Google nest

Couple other things to think about:

- How many people are going to use it? From what I understand Euphy only lets one person logged in at a time to the app / device. That means only one phone gets notifications instead of the everyone in the household. I dont have direct experience with Euphy so could be wrong, but thought thats what I read when originally looking into it - someone who owns one can correct me if wrong

- Wired or battery; Wired offers some benefits, depending on device. On my Ring front camera for example because it's wired it continually records 6 seconds and then when it detects motion, it will stick the preceding 6 seconds onto the footage so you get the full view of the person / action. My back garden camera is battery operated and to save battery, it will only "wake" and record when it detects motion. That means you often pick up the action a bit delayed. I used to have something like that on the front of the house, and would regularly have a video of the postman walking away from the house, but not coming up to it because he was in and out in <5 seconds, so you'd miss people's faces if that was the case. That's not a problem now.

They're all relatively equal with different strengths and weaknesses to be honest. If it's purely for deterrence and things like the video front-loading I mentioned above dont matter, just go for whatever one feels best

CCTV is "closed circuit" and by nature stays off wifi and internet, but it's fully wired and a much more expensive approach

If you're going to get a "consumer-grade" one, then you'll need WiFi switched on 24/7 - thats how they work and communicate between devices.

Other brands to Euphy; Ring, Arlo, Google nest

Couple other things to think about:

- How many people are going to use it? From what I understand Euphy only lets one person logged in at a time to the app / device. That means only one phone gets notifications instead of the everyone in the household. I dont have direct experience with Euphy so could be wrong, but thought thats what I read when originally looking into it - someone who owns one can correct me if wrong

- Wired or battery; Wired offers some benefits, depending on device. On my Ring front camera for example because it's wired it continually records 6 seconds and then when it detects motion, it will stick the preceding 6 seconds onto the footage so you get the full view of the person / action. My back garden camera is battery operated and to save battery, it will only "wake" and record when it detects motion. That means you often pick up the action a bit delayed. I used to have something like that on the front of the house, and would regularly have a video of the postman walking away from the house, but not coming up to it because he was in and out in <5 seconds, so you'd miss people's faces if that was the case. That's not a problem now.

They're all relatively equal with different strengths and weaknesses to be honest. If it's purely for deterrence and things like the video front-loading I mentioned above dont matter, just go for whatever one feels best
I have the Eufy doorbell camera and my fiance and I both get notifications with no issues.

I put in a Nest doorbell a few months ago. Already had Nest heating controls and Nest smoke/CO detectors so having them all in one app is nice.

I’ve been very impressed with it so far. Whole family get access and notifications from their phones, you can send/receive sound over the Internet so we’re able to ask couriers to fire parcels over the side gate if we’re not there, you can turn the bell off (quiet time) while the baby is asleep, video quality is excellent.

Downsides are you need a subscription to get some of the fancier motion detection and longer recordings, though it’s perfectly functional without a subscription. Not cheap when a regular doorbell is €2.50, though you really need to compare to a HD camera not a doorbell. Install was easy enough and used existing doorbell wiring, but we did have to upgrade our doorbell power supply (€30) which took some research.

I would recommend one. I’d personally be inclined to avoid the Amazon (Ring) based on their enthusiasm for sharing video with police in the US and some other questionable decisions around privacy. Though it’s not like Google are perfect in this respect, I haven’t seen anything negative around their Nest range.

I bought a MI Home security camera 360* 1080 P HD. I use it in Spain and here. Controlled via an APP on ur phone, connected via your WIFI and has a motion detector. It cost me around 30 EUR in Spain, I did see one here in a phone shop for around 60.oo. On Amazon too. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mi+home+security+camera+360+1080p&crid=DLTC9J88VO50&sprefix=mi+home+security+camera%2Caps%2C283&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_23

Back