Home office?

richieg

I am changing role from regular employee to someone who will be operating from home office but "on the road" most of the time.

What bthings do i need to consider in terms of setting up a home office and working from home, e.g. home insurance policy?

Anything else?

A room, a desk, a chair, a computer, some paper, pen pencil and filing cabinet etc.

Broadband connection is essential. Also be able to easily forward your landline number to your mobile. I think for credibility purposes you should have a landline and fax on your business card, add the mobile if required.
From my point of view, space is a major requirement for working from home. I tried working form home, and without sufficient space, found it difficult to work efficiently. Also made it more difficult to separate work and home life. I since moved into an office and feel much more comfortable, but not saying that this is for everyone!

I think the real difficulty is seperating home life from work. If you dont have space you're bushed. Perhaps an office/chalet at the end of the garden would be an option, that is if you don't live in an appartment.

You can deduct a proportion of your home utility bills, cleaner etc from your tax liability but you may leave yourself open to other tax liabilities if and when you sell your house. Talk to an accountant.
Your home insurance will have to be changed. Your employer may (should) cover this.
If you work for a large company there is a good chance that they will have to carry out a safety audit on your home as it is your work place and you are working for them.

I am in the same boat - starting up my home base business , not 100% sure how the business will go , it might end up being a stupid idea .

I am seeking your advice on the best and cheapest way to get a landline and fax at home . I already have a mobile and ntl ( broadband and digital channels ).
Would ntl provide this service for me ? I got to know there are lot of complains about their service , The landline will be mainly attached with an answering machine and hopefully with fax.

Appreciate your feedback
hak.

Hi,
I have my ntl providing broadband as well, no land line, so I signed up to Blueface for a landline over VOIP. I selected their business pack, two distinct landline numbers and 'virtual fax' number. These can be put on your website or business cards.
The virtual fax is a number that someone dials as per a normal fax number, but is instead sent as a scanned document to your email address.
have to say, I am a very big fan of this service

Hi,
I have my ntl providing broadband as well, no land line, so I signed up to Blueface for a landline over VOIP. I selected their business pack, two distinct landline numbers and 'virtual fax' number. These can be put on your website or business cards.
The virtual fax is a number that someone dials as per a normal fax number, but is instead sent as a scanned document to your email address.
have to say, I am a very big fan of this service

i'm in the same situation and would echo this

I don't think I'd bother with a fax in this day and age, unless your customers find this a convenient way to communicate. I suppose it depends on the kind of business you're in, but I haven't sent or received a fax in about 8 years.

Sounds intersting , unfortunatelly I couldn't find this business package on their web site . Is there any other way that I could avail of this service ? or it is not available anymore ?

Thanks in advance
hak.

Back