Home office 'all in one printer'

TheQuery

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a Home office 'All in one printer'.
It has to be vista compatible.
Under €400 and not too expensive to run (power consumption and ink).

Thanks.

Unless you're pressed for space, it may be worth considering dedicated separates. Many companies tend to excel at one aspect e.g. the printer will be good but the scanner leaves something to be desired. Combined machines are more complex too, and you may lose functionality in all area if one goes down.

FWIW I use Canon printers because of refill costs, a software fax programme and a Canon scanner based on the reviews (don't use it much, though)

I realise it's not what you may want to hear, but perhaps worth looking into.

If you do decide to combine, ensure you know where you'll be going for maintenance and approx costs for the most common jobs before you buy!!

Do you need a fax in the all-in-one and do you need standalone or networked printer?

I have a samsung all-in-one laser printer.

Ie printing (monochrome only)
Scanning
Photocopying.

I purchased this brand new from Argos for under €150 about 3 years ago.
(Note that there was an option without the scanner which was about €30 cheaper).

It's a laser therefore much cheaper to run. Much neater as well having the paper tray.

I've never had an issue with it and it works like a dream.

As for faxes be careful. Most printers expect the pc to print the fax, so if you need a fax get a separate one. Also get one which uses either cartridge or toner. Don't use one which uses ribbon. way too messy and unreliable.

How many pages do you get per cartridge of average printing and how much are the cartridges. I seem to be buying inkjet cartridges every week!

A cartridge will give you about 500 pages.
Laser Toner will give you about 4000 pages.

The toner won't cost more than 2 cardtridges. It was because of running costs that I switched to a laser printer.

With inkjets the manufacturers make the money off the cartridges rather than the printers. eg I had a lexmark Z55 which came with 2 cartridges (1 b/w one colour) but it was cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy 2 cartridges

Thanks for the replies.
I will need a fax so that will have to be part of the package. Space is limited so ideally I want to opt for the All in one package. Standalone is adequate but wireless would be preferred. I reckon usage will be about 2000 pages per month.

Lexmark have a new wireless all-in-one - fax, printer, scanner, copier. 2,000 pages per month is fine for an inkjet. I think HP also have a new wireless 4-in-1 (Officejet). You would need to check their websites for the exact model numbers. Prices are around €300 mark.

Just a quick update.
I have decided to go for the HP OfficeJet Pro L7590 AIO. You can check it out here.
[broken link removed]
Probably going to buy it from Dabs.ie, they seem to be the most competitively priced.

would definately reccommend OKI 2540. Got one last year. Fax, photocopier and printer all in one. Cost around 300 plus vat. Ink costs around 105 but seems to last for ages. You can also pay around 50 so that if anything goes wrong for first three years somebody will come out to fix it. Mine is black ink only but i think you could probably get coloured as well.

You will need a wireless adaptor with this printer - and they can be quite pricey. Why not go for one that is already wireless?

Thanks to you guys I have changed my mind again:)
Now I'm tempted by the HP Photosmart C7280

Cheers.

Yes I would agree, this is a better choice. You can buy the inks in a 6-pack multipack or individual inks as required - there is also the option of Black Extra Yield (XL) cartridge, if you need more black than colours.

You had better check the fax out.

Ask the supplier the following:

Can you use it as a Fax to send and receive faxes without your PC turned on.
Can you plug a phoneline directly into the Printer

The answer should be YES for a true all-in-one

A pc based fax will require the pc to be connected directly to the phoneline.
(You cant use a broadband connection)

Also consider going with an online fax service such as myfax.com or efax.com and then buy a proper printer. You may be limited to an 01 number with the online fax service.

Back