Home Loan Reducing means for a GP Visit Card application

fayf

I am helping a friend (aged 65)with their application for applying for a GP Visit card. They fall under the income threshold when their home improvement loan is taken into account. This was a garage conversion recently completed.

Several years ago, i helped someone else in a similar application, and they also had a home improvement loan, and this made the difference. At the time i remember reading a home improvement loan was specifically listed as an item which could be used to reduce means. Now, i can’t seem to find it, the current website has all the usual deductions: mortgage, rent, house & life insurance etc.

Does anyone know if home loan repayments have actually been removed, from the list of items, that can be taken into account for the Medical/GP visit card ?

Last edited:
I am helping a friend (aged 65)with their application for applying for a GP Visit card. They fall under the income threshold when their home improvement loan is taken into account. This was a garage conversion recently completed.

Several years ago, i helped someone else in a similar application, and they also had a home improvement loan, and this made the difference. At the time i remember reading a home improvement loan was specifically listed as an item which could be used to reduce means. Now, i can’t seem to find it, the current website has all the usual deductions: mortgage, rent, house & life insurance etc.

Does anyone know if home loan repayments have actually been removed, from the list of items, that can be taken into account for the Medical/GP visit card ?
Did you get any further with this application and get clarity about the home loan?

Helping out some older friends.

I called Medical Card support , and they said home improvement loans are not counted, as part of the outgoings, only rent and/or mortgage, life insurance, medical bills,& reasonable transport costs to work.

However, a few years back i was helping someone else out, and their home improvement loan, counted, in fact, it got them under the threshold, so they qualified. So, there has been a policy change in recent years.

Kind of odd I thought, especially as the home loan was for a garage conversion with a downstairs toilet & shower, eg totally genuine to for an older couple.

Last edited:
The deductible items are listed here, scroll down to “Allowable Expenses”, but one should ring them for further clarification:

The deductible items are listed here, scroll down to “Allowable Expenses”, but one should ring them for further clarification:

Great thank you for sharing that feedback and info. Thats unfortunate about the home renovation loan, particularly in that situation.
It looks like i may have significant travel costs from here in but I'm struggling to find info on what I will need to show to submit this as an expense. I saw that they want copy of car registration, but im not clear if they want petrol receipts etc. Ideally, I would like some checklist before i try fill in the form.

I’d advise contacting them by phone for any queries, and if you are not getting clear instructions, ask to speak to a supervisor. This will limit any “surprises” later on.

0818 22 44 78

Back