Home Law Direct

Lou26

Hi,
I am currently bidding on a house and am trying to get a solicitor in place. Has anyone ever used Home Law Direct. They are quoting €950 fixed fee plus VAT and outlays. Can anyone tell me is this a good price? Also has anyone used them before and what do they think?
Thank you!!

Have you read the many existing threads on solicitor's conveyancing and related fees, flat rate packages and the caveats that apply etc. etc.?

Hi Clubman,
Thanks I have read a few but cannot find anything on Home Law Direct. If anyone can give me any advice or some of their experiences it would be great.

What I meant was for comparison purposes and so you know that flat rate packages of €950 + VAT + outlays can lead to a total bill of €2K or more! Many people are surprised when this happens...

Dont know if this helps but i am currently using them for a newly built house. I am finding them okay at the moment. Havent much dealing with solisiters but they seem professional.

950 as you know is the flat fee. But you will pay double that in total. The outlays come to 816 euro.

There are several agencies offering discount solicitors services for conveyance work. What you need to concern yourself with is less about the agency procuring the service for you than the solicitor who ends up doing the work for you. Most reputable solicitors firms in this country normally charge more than €950 + VAT + outlays, and for most of these, business is booming as a by-product of the property boom. These firms generally would not be interested in taking on discount work because they can command higher fees from their own customer base.

If you are availing of a discount offer, you will need to satisfy yourself that there are genuine reasons why the firm you allocated is taking on discount work. Some firms may be doing so because they are start-ups or because they want to maximise turnover or utilise spare capacity. On the other hand, some firms may be doing so because they may have bad reputations for customer service, competence or attention to detail. As such, they may be unable to generate normal-price turnover on the basis of reputation. Others may be taking on discount work because they are getting backhanders or business referrals from auctioneers or mortgage brokers - in which case they may have more loyalty to the interests of the auctioneer/broker than they have to you, as their client.

they may use cheaper legal executives not expensive solicitors for lots of the work, thats why they are cheaper

What's the difference between a "legal executive" and a solicitor?

Is there a pool of cheap "legal executive" labour available to solicitor firms? If so, the solicitors are lucky as this certainly isn't the case for the other professional groups in this country at the moment.

name and letters after them is the difference but an experienced legal executive can do the job as well as a solicitor.

2Pack said:
an experienced legal executive can do the job as well as a solicitor.

why then does their work not attract an equivalent value in the marketplace? For example, solicitor A provides a full-fee service. Solicitor B provides a discount-fee service. Solicitor B uses unqualified staff but their output is otherwise equal in terms of quality/service etc. If there is no qualitative difference between the two services, why does solicitor B charge much less than solicitor A? I don't really buy the argument that he does so because he is dedicated to low prices.

In other sectors, the delegation of work to junior or unqualified staff doesn't really translate into cost savings for customers, Banks, builders and accountants are three prime examples. Maybe solicitors are more altruistic but I'm not convinced.

Lehal execs are not covered by (pricey) professional indemnity insurance that solicitors are, also take up to seven years education into account !​

SNB said:
Lehal execs are not covered by (pricey) professional indemnity insurance that solicitors are, also take up to seven years education into account !​
This isn't correct. Solicitors have a monopoly on conveyancing work in Ireland. Even if a solicitor delegates part or all of their work to an unqualified person, they must hold (pricey) professional indemnity insurance in respect of that work, and all other work.

In my example above, Solicitor A will have passed exactly the same exams, and studied for the same duration, as solicitor B, so I don't see how the education point is relevant.

an experienced legal executive can do the job as well as a solicitor. I personally know of a reputable practice in East Galway with 2 or 3 partners BUT where a legal executive does all the conveyancing work except sign letters . Its been that way for over a decade.

Thew 7 years training helps when you sign letters .

I've been successfully using a fixed rate (€999+) solicitor who's business structure allows him to operate this way.
He has a modest car, part time administrator and home office, so no pricey overheads.
He pays twice-weekly visits to hotels from where he conducts his business...................great day out for the family!:)

I'ld like to add that I did get feedback through AAM and others before finally running with him.

Thanks guys. I think I'll ring around a few solicitors and get a few prices and go from there.

Back