Home CCTV wireless or wired ?.

Mapara

Hi
I'm thinking of getting a cctv system on my private residence,,there seems to be a lot of different systems and set ups available on the market,
So I'm just wondering if anyone one here has installed one and if so did you go for wired or wireless,any feed back on this or anything to with CCTV systems would be very helpfull either positive or negative.

wireless will still need to get power from somewhere, so you will have to either run power cables to the cameras or depend on batteries that will need to be replaced or charged. Mine are wired and run of a POE switch, which means I have just one cat5 cable to each camera that provides both power and network. It all depends on how awkward it will be to get cables ran to the locations though

I installed a Swann 4 camera system last year. All cameras run back to the control box, which I placed next to the router, and connected in via cable.
It's fully wired for a number of reasons
As JohnJay said, you have to get power to the cameras anyway.
Wired is fit and forget, no problems with poor wifi signals etc.
Being a bungalow, I can clean out the spiders webs (which are constant) easily from the cameras. The infrared seems to attract the moths, which attract the spiders.

Now, on saying that, I live in a bungalow, so wiring was much easier. I ran all cables through the attic and brought them out by the soffit. And the router is situated by the attic door, so again, no problem to connect.

I have come across a good system since, called Blink, which is wireless and battery operated. It can goes back to to a control box, and looks good, if access etc. is a problem. Battery life is said to be 2 years. Depending on what you need, and difficulty of operation, it might be an idea.

If you're considering home security cameras, you'll need to decide between the two main types: wired and wireless. There's a lot of confusion around these two types of cameras. In this article, we’ll help you understand the differences so you can decide what will work best for you, whether you're just looking for a few cameras or an entire home security system.
The term "wireless" refers to how a camera communicates, not how a camera is powered. Wireless cameras communicate over Wi-Fi, whereas wired cameras use wires to transmit their footage. Wireless cameras can be powered by AC power (such as a normal household outlet) or by batteries. When powered by batteries, a wireless camera becomes a wire-free camera. Here is a simple explanation of the three terms, which we'll explain further below.
  • Wired: connected to a power source and the internet by a cable
  • Wireless: connected to the internet over Wi-Fi, connected to a power source by a cable
  • Wire-free: wireless cameras connected to the internet over Wi-Fi and powered by batteries.

I installed ARLO Wireless Cameras about 2 years ago. Reassuringly Expensive I'd describe the price point as.

These are totally wireless and need to be recharged every few months depending on usage.

I'm happy with them and found them easy to install, configure and the App for viewing is reliable.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the replies guys but I still have another couple of questions,

If using a fully wired system do I need to bring all cables from the cameras back to the DVR and then also an Ethernet cable from the router to the DVR?.
Just trying to work out the logistics of installing a system like this before making a final decision.

Thanks for the replies guys but I still have another couple of questions,

If using a fully wired system do I need to bring all cables from the cameras back to the DVR and then also an Ethernet cable from the router to the DVR?.
Just trying to work out the logistics of installing a system like this before making a final decision.
Thats they way most of them will work, yes. My cameras connect in to a POE switch, which in turn is connected to the DVR and router, but in a lot of cases the cameras will connect directly to the DVR.

That's the way mine worked. Although there are two types, the DVR (cheaper one like mine) where all cameras go back to the DVR via one cable, and power goes to the cameras via another, and the DVR is wired into the router, or JohnJays, where the cameras are network devices connected via cat5 cable (which also has the power supply). This is also called NVR.
In either case, the cameras are wired.
(Have a google of DVR v's NVR CCTV systems)

I think my system had a wifi option from the DVR box, (to the router) but as I was able to situated it next to the router I didn't avail of it.

Back