Hollowcore Precast Concrete floor slabs

Wolverine

Precast Concrete slabs

Hi All,

Has anyone gotton these done ? Saw them at an expo in galway last weekend.
Is there a lot more hassle to this for a builder as compared to a standard joiced floor ?

I was told that it should only cost an extra 1k or so more than standard joiced floor, because they are placed in 3-4 hours and all they need is grouting before loading.
Therefore you are saving labour costs on time etc.
Is this a sales pitch or is it true ?

How long would it take a carpenter to fix joices for first floor ?

Any advice ?

I've been getting prices of 42 Euro per Metre Sq. Excl. Vat.
What price did you pay per M2 ?
were you able to haggle on the price / Get a cash discount ?

Thanks.
Wolverine.

no but I know people who have used campion home floors. salesman Ml Morkan 087 9692992.
I have no connection with this company

Thanks Jem - Do you know if they have a website ? Where are they based ?
I Cant seem to find one on google.

Has anyone got advice ? Answers to orig post questions ?

Thanks,
Wolverine.

Best reason to go hollowcore is noise reduction. I priced Spanwright and although they weren't much more expensive I did find cheaper (in Galway). Watch out that although you think its quicker i.e. done in one day (thats true) your build might be held up for a few weeks waiting for the product. They wont manufacture until they have measured exactly on site (not from plans) the spans from wall to wall in your house. Normally you can measure when the downstairs walls are half way up but from then it could easily be 3 to 4 weeks before product by which stage your blocklayer will be up to first floor level (ages ago) and probably gone off to another job. This prob sounds like a negative recommendation but its not - I would definately use it (and did!!) , just factor the above into your project plan - good luck

Also meant to say expect cost would be 3k to 4k for say 2000 square feet not sure how much that saves over material & labour costs for timber joists. It does avoid having to get a carpenter on site until later in the build.

LakeView

Thanks a mill LakeView.. Was giving up hope of a reply.

Can I ask who you got yours done by - What crowd in Galway ?
Thanks for the advice - I'll factor that in.

Did you use a screed ontop of the slabs ?
Most are saying that I don't need to.

To be honest - I haven't gotton a quote under 4k - would love to get one for 3 ?

Were you able to hagle with them on the price or did you end up paying what they actually quoted ?

Thanks Again,
Wolverine.

As far as I know campions dont have a web site at least it isn't on their brochure.
Try ringing their salesman.I would haggle with the price no matter who I was buying from.
j

Found this link Seems quite good.

[broken link removed]

I've gotton 1 quote back - 4500 incl Vat & Delivery.
I have to grout and supply battons within keys to hold false ceeling below.

That's covering 95 m2 - working out at € 47.50.
A bit more than the 40 per sq meter that seems to be the norm.

Hi Guys,

Was wondering if people with this done have put a screed over the slabs ?

Can anyone make a good estimated guess on how much would it cost to put a 75 mm screed on the slabs - covering 98 m2 ?

Regards,
Wolverine.

Wolverine said:
Hi Guys,

Was wondering if people with this done have put a screed over the slabs ?

Can anyone make a good estimated guess on how much would it cost to put a 75 mm screed on the slabs - covering 98 m2 ?

Regards,
Wolverine.

Hi Wolverine

If using hollowcore you must place a structural screed on top of the precast unit to maintain floor stuctural integrity. This has implications if you are using underfloor heating as now the 150 slab + 50 - 75 screed will have to be heated up meaning response times for heating up and cooling down are slower.

Would you not consider solid core 150 mm slab. You can lay the floor straight on top or put insulation and then screed for underfloor?

Hi Pollock,

I've definately been told that you don't need a screed on hollowcore see links below. They have deff to be grouted in between slabs alright, but I've been told that you def don't have to screed.
I'm going for a raised wooden floor on battons.

I'm not doing underfloor heating - so thats not a problem.
It's for the first floor only.

Have you any idea / rough price to screed 98 m2 for 75mm ??
I'd guess that It'd be better to screed the floor but if it's going to cost a huge amount more and I don't need to, then that's the question.

Thanks,
Wolverine.

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

Wolverine I'll check for a price on a Bill of Quantities I have.

My engineer says that the hollowcore only gets full strength from the addition of the screed. I took a look at your links but now I'm not sure either way. Best to consult an engineer.

I'll post that costing tomorrow.

Apologies for the delay

Some costings for you

PLain in situ concrete screed: grade 30. 75mm thick: 153 m2 @ E18.20

150 mm Precast Concrete Hollowcore slabs: 153m2 @ E43

Note: I went for solid core units because of the need for a structural screed which would comprimise the efficiency and responsiveness of the floor heating.

All prices above subject to VAT @ 13.5%

PS Looked at a few other buildings - none using hollowcore.

Hope this is of help

Back