Holidays while after giving Notice

B

Badger

Hi,

I would like to take holidays i am entitled to while on notice. Is this my legal entitlement?

I ask as I currently live abroad and I intend to return to Ireland. These holidays will hopefully coincide with the end of my current lease and notice period. It would save me on expensive temporary accomodation before moving to Ireland.

If you are employed in another country other than Ireland then there may be different employment laws/rights there than here in Ireland (although I'd imagine that most of this stuff has been harmonised under EU directives/laws at this stage). For what it's worth you could try checking these links and/or the DETE employment rights section (if applicable) for more information:

www.entemp.ie

Working in the Uk

Thanks for all the help.

I should have told people that I work in the UK.

Re: Working in the Uk

I think the law regarding annual leave is broadly similar in the UK.

I would imagine it is up to your employer. I doubt anyone has the right to take holidays when they want - it has to be agreed by your employer.
So, you would need to ask your boss about that one.

I think most employment contracts require your manager's permission to take holidays.

However, if you give your boss a choice between doing as little as possible while working out your notice plus your holiday pay versus working 'diligently' for awhile and taking your holidays due, I'm sure he'll make the right choice.

Sluice

Back