Holiday location for family with toddler in South East?

Mpsox

I'm looking for somewhere to go for a short break in September, ideally in the South East and near the sea. Have a lively 2 year old who is into paddling in the sea, animals, slides and walking/running/shouting/singing, usual things a 2 year old gets up to.

We've never been away with her before, other then to family houses so if it's a hotel we'd like it not to be too posh and used to small kids and what they can be like in dining rooms/restaurants, although usually, TG, she's pretty good when we are out.

Open to self catering or hotel

I did look at Waterford Castle and the lodges there, seem to have some good deals in September. Has anyone tried them or can anyone suggest somewhere else?

Have stayed in Waterford Castle and really enjoyed it, however I don't recall there being anywhere to eat at night other than the formal castle dining room (which was very very good) - when I was there I think the golf club only did daytime meals, however things could have changed since. As you're on an island it's not quite so easy to pop off for dinner in the nearest pub or restaurant.

Greg Barry's recommendation of Kelly's is probably worth looking at, I know people who have gone there with their babies/toddlers and had a fantastic time. Be warned it's not cheap though!

Faithlegg in Waterford might be worth a look, they do self catering, and there's a pub just down the road called [broken link removed] which does fantastic food.

I'd also recommend you look at TripAdvisor before booking anything, people often put up photos and their opinions can be very helpful (I have nothing to do with TripAdvisor!).

Arklow Bay Hotel - Lots of beachs nearby, Arklow, Clogga, Brittas Bay. Beside lovely wildlife lake, Has a great Leisure centre and I think there's a kids club. Also very reasonably priced. If you do book it, ask for the rooms on the newer part of the hotel - much nicer

Dunmore East is very pretty, two lovely safe beaches , a working harbour , a lovely park and a wide selection of self catering cottages , hotels and restaurants , the Haven and Ocean hotels are well located and Tramore is a short drive away as is the city itself.

http://www.clonea.com/

We did a week in the golf villas a few years ago and had a great time.
You have use of the 2 hotels which are 3* and no more but ideal for kids.
The golf villas are quite big, detached and back onto the golf course.
A good base for the south east - Dungarvan is nice and has a terrific playground. Neighbours of ours go every year with 2 families sharing one golf villa. At least with the hotels you have a plan B if weather turns nasty - both have pools and I think one has a bowling alley and indoor fun zone.

Last edited:
Back