Holiday Insurance gone wrong

ZEGAR

Over 12 months ago I booked a holiday for 4 on my credit card.Due to unforseen circumstances the entire holiday had to be cancelled.

The Credit Card Insurance company initially refused to cover the holiday costs.The contact we had with them clearly stated that there was cover..After 7 months they covered 50% of the cost (myself and my partners costs).after another 5 months they said they would covermy rents portion but are looking for some insurance cert that never existed..Anyway that is being sorted...
Do I have a leg to stand on as regards the worry,hassle,trips to my solicitor and a missing 3,500 from my bank account for the last year...
I am not a compensation hunter but I reallyfeel unfairly treated by this particular company

You could try the Insurance Ombudsman but I don't know if their remit extends beyond the actual cover provided - and as you have now (or are about to once the cert issue is sorted out) received full cover, they may not be able to help. I think it's unlikely that any compensation will be easy to get as lots of people feel unfairly treated by insurance companies every year and are put through the wringer to get claims paid but I don't think I've heard of anyone getting compensated for this.

There are many terms and conditions applicable to travel insurance. Even with annual policies, the terms and conditions can change form year to year. You will need to carefully read the policy and see if the reason you cnacelled is covered. Reasons for cancellation are ususally specified and a simple change of mind or couldn't be bothered to go is not a valid reason.

Also, why did they agree to pay 50% and later agree to pay more?

You should have received a certificate or policy document and the wording, terms and conditions are very important. When did you notify them of the cancellation? Was that time period in accordance with the policy? Did you pay the full holiday with the card as some cards insist on this?

There would not be compensation for the worry or inconvenience. most policies have an arbitration clause and this can be invoked in the event of any dispute.

Back