holiday insurance claim

el-jimbo

Hi all,
Was on holidays in September in Lanzarote, 2nd last night our apartment was broken into and nearly €2000 worth of cash and items was stolen. There were 3 of us in the apartment, myself and my girlfriend were in the bedroom and her sister slept on the sofa in the living area. We were asleep in the apartment when the break-in occurred but unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, we didn’t wake up.
We reported the break in to reception when we realized what happened, met with our rep and reported it at the local police station.
When we returned home we filed a claim through our travel agent and a couple of weeks later I received a call in which I was asked to go through what happened, which i did.

We heard nothing for a couple of months and I asked my travel agent to see if she could find any info for me. When she rang the insurance company, AXA,
She was told a decision would be made by the end of the week. This was before Christmas. The end of the week came and this no word so she again rang and was again told the same thing. This pattern repeated itself twice more until I decided to ring myself and I was given the same story and this pattern again repeated itself until about 2 weeks ago, when I rang and was told that the claim was being finalized and we would have a cheque in the post by the weekend. Obviously we were delighted with this and waiting patiently, but of course nothing arrived.

So on Tuesday just gone when nothing had arrived I again rang, and was told the claim has been passed on to an office in England; Blue Insurance is the name of the company i believe.

Now I was sick and tired of ringing for so long so I decided to let my girlfriend ring this time. When she rang she was told the person dealing with the case was off and he would return her call Wednesday.

Now at this point it is important that I state some facts.
The claims were under my name, and my girlfriend’s sister's name.
Since the claim, her boyfriend of 7 years was killed in a car crash, which as one would expect has left her quite affected and she has lost almost all her self-confidence. Because of this my girlfriend rang using her sister's name with her permission.

When he returned the call my girlfriend answered and said that she was actually her sister and provided all her information. He asked her a load of questions, some of which I feel he had no right to ask, and was very belittling in the way he spoke to her, and eventually she became confused, and when he asked about the sleeping arrangements
she ended up telling him that she was on the sofa and I was in the room with her sister, as opposed to her being with me and the sister on the soda.

Sorry if this is getting confusing.

When she realized what she had said she got every flustered, and eventually her sister came on the phone and the call continued.

After the call finished he rang about soon after, and said they were refusing to pay the claim because there was disparities in the stories.

I then rang him earlier today and had a long conversation with him and he told me the reason the claim was being refused was because they had broken faith of the claim by lying to him as he had spoken to two people who had claimed to have been her sister.

What I am wondering is, is there any comeback available to us? While I do understand it was a mistake for my girlfriend to say she was her sister, she had informed AXA on an earlier call she was speaking on behalf of her sister.

If anyone has any information as to what we could do please reply.

Thanks

All insurance policies are based on 'utmost good faith'. You have broken this. Your girlfriend pretending to be her sister has tainted the veracity of the entire claim and I think that in the current climate, the refusal to deal with the claim will be upheld by the ombudsman.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome, then the policy conditions would give details of how to proceed with complaint and appeal.

What an awful series of events.

I'd contact the ombudsman if I were you.

Impersonating anyone in an insurance claim is at best unwise, and at worst possible fraud, regardless of the unfortunate circumstances.

Thanks for your help, I admit it was unwise but considering the situation and the fact that her sister was sitting next to her during the call, I find it hard to believe that it could be regarding as fraud, but saying that if you told me before the holiday this was going to happen I would have found that hard to believe as well!

Also I have been thinking about it since, do anyone think I have a ground from complaint against the insurance company as regards what i would consider their breaking of good faith in the way they treated us over the multiple phone calls. Also is it not the duty of the insurance company to find a basis to pay the claim rather than find reasons to deny it?

Please don't ever buy insurance from a travel agent if you want proper after sale service. They're travel agents not insurance brokers.

So on Tuesday just gone when nothing had arrived I again rang, and was told the claim has been passed on to an office in England; Blue Insurance is the name of the company i believe

Strange thing about this story is that AXA in Ireland discontinued travel insurance quite a number of years ago. Was the holiday insurance arranged originally through AXA UK?

It's AXA but not the AXA we normally deal with. Yes UK but wholesaled in Ireland through Blue Insurance. Nothing really wrong with this though.

All insurance policies are based on 'utmost good faith'. You have broken this. Your girlfriend pretending to be her sister has tainted the veracity of the entire claim and I think that in the current climate, the refusal to deal with the claim will be upheld by the ombudsman.

Would the circumstances not be taken in to account at all? Is it completely black and white when this kind of thing happens?

I'd assume the insurance company would be entirely within its rights to reject the claim because of the loss of good faith but it's hard to see how the girlfriend pretending to be her sister in one phone call (out of the apparent dozens they had to make to follow up broken promises) could somehow be viewed in the same light as a dodgy claim?

Back