Holiday in Zanzibar

Stronge

Anyone know anything about holidays in Zanzibar? Can you fly directly from here. Can you get an all in price or do you book flight and acc. separately. Any info would be most appreciated.

I am really frightened now, my daughter and a group of her friends in their 20's are talking about a trip there in April!

One of our party was mugged on the beach there in the middle of the day a few years ago. I also had an incident in Stonetown myself when a trader followed me shouting that I was a racist for just refusing a tour - very frightening because he drew the attention of the whole marketplace.

It is a really gorgeous place but I would think it is unsafe for a group of girls in their 20s. They would be advised to stay in their resort and at that they could be anywhere, so not much point in all of the expense.

That said we still had a brilliant trip and didn't spend a fortune. We booked low budget traditional places from a british website. They were clean and comfortable with nice food and a more local feel than the big hotels (the mugging actually happened on the stretch of beach beside one of the luxury hotels).

The port and taxi area in Dar es Salem are crazy and we were glad to reach the safety of the airport. You are inclined to let your guard down in Zanzibar because it feels like any beach holiday, but you must keep in mind that there are desperately poor people living alongside the resorts. I also felt that there was some muslim resentment of western women - in general though people were very nice to us. Some small hotels wouldn't take couples unless they were married. I would say take the same care as in any African city. Some how the incidents felt worse because they happened in Zanzibar, I expected hassle in the cities but not relaxing on the beach.

If they do decide to go advise them to stick together at all times, take only official tours from reputable sources and be very careful if venturing off into the narrow streets of stone town. No harm to wear wedding rings - I found it easiest to say that my husband was arranging things when being hassled for tours etc. Also dress modestly if you want less hassle. I think there is lots of money to be saved by booking accomodation via an independent site, but without local knowledge this could be tricky. I don't think the big resorts are worth the money, they are often isolated from the centre of town and you are limited to small stretch of beach.

Thank you very much for all that info, I will pass it on and hopefully they will take it on board. I would be happier if they did not go at all!

I was there years ago and stayed in a hotel in StoneTown. We (young couple) didn't have any hassle but we did have a local guide. He used to collect us in the morning and drop us off last thing at night. It felt a bit excessive at the time but had been organised by a friend living in Dar es Saleem so we felt we couldn't send him away.
Maybe reading all these stories it was a good idea. Over all we had a great time, we did a spice tour (great fun seeing what all spice looks like in the native form and trying to guess which is which) and swan with dolphins and as our local guide organised them they were all private tours.

As i said we didn't organise the guide but did pay him and it wasn't very expensive so if they could somehow arrange for one it might make things a lot easier and safer.

Hotel notices may politely inform you not to leave valuables in your in room safe or visible etc.. When we travel, our interpretation of valuables is usually not the same as a local persons interpretation of valuables. If you visit a relatively poorer country then valuables could be as little as €50 where earnings can be as little as €30 a month.

Good Spot, if you're into exploring the island, well I would prefer to me on my own not wife my wife. Its really a resort destination. By that I mean that they have beautiful resorts, I stayed in Breezes Beach resort, but any travel outside of them would require a guide for security. All the resorts are heavily guarded.

Personally I would have no problem in a place like Stone town on my own but it has very strict dress codes for women in the towns and its not always the safest place. If you are going, check out Chumbe Island, best place ever for relaxing. You'll read a whole book in a day.

Patrick

Hi,

I was in Zanzibar as part of my honeymoon in October.

We stayed in Stonetown for 4 days.

Good Points:
The Stonetown Walking Tour (find out about slavery, visit their fish markets etc and you get to know the layout of the town as there are loads of tiny streets)
The Spice Tour (visit a spice farm, and taste the spices and fruits)
Prison Island Tour (we got to feed some huge turtles and do a bit of snorkling)
Seeing the sun set from veranda in the African House Hotel.
The food is lovely too!

Bad Points:
You get hassle off the locals (trying to get you into their shops, taxis etc)
Have to be careful after dark.

Back