Holiday In Israel

Rainbow08

I want to go and visit Israel for 7-14 days. Has anyone got any recommendations on how to go about booking this and where are the best places to go. Have been searching the net but not a whole lot to choose from. Am travelling solo as I usually do,less baggage and can just do my own thing as I am keen explorer different cultures.
Have travelled the world a fair bit, but am stuck for ideas on how to go about planning this trip .

Thank You.

Try Sadlier Travel 01-6704528. They used to be the experts in travelling for Israel. No conection, but a fairly good outfit to deal with, if they can help you.

Israel is very small, and fairly easy to get around by bus. Tel Aviv is nice, but a modern city. Old Jerusalem is lovely, and make sure you get to see Herod's Gate and there are numerous places to stop off for coffee, ice creams, fresh orange juice etc.It's a very walkable city too, but it is quite hilly . The sea of Galilee is great too, and a big resort for locals. A must in Israel is Masada in the desert, I loved that trip, and Jericho is nearby too. You can also visit the Dead Sea, and the fortified Crusader city of Acre is lovely as is the port of Haifa. For scenery you can travel up towards Golan. But there may be restrictions because it's next to Syria. For food, don't miss the fresh squeezed juices and the street falafel.

Things to watch out for:
  • FX. Make sure you get the best rate, watch for dodgy dealing.
  • Soldiers are everywhere, as are guns, and soldiers use public transport to and from bases.
  • Security. Particularly your bags etc. You are responsible for anything that's in them. Be very careful with anyone asking you to take something out or slipping something into your bags. Israeli security is very intimidating and thorough.
  • Friday/Sat is Sabbath. Nearly everything closes. Sunday is a workday.
  • If you are a woman, you will need to dress appropriately in the religious areas of the cities.You will know these by how people around you are dressed. You will always need to cover up entering churches, temples and mosques. No shorts, no short sleeved shirts.
  • Avoid /take care around border-crossings. Be careful around Bethlehem and if Iwere you,I would avoid Hebron. Check news before you go near these places.
  • Be wary of Friday prayers near the Dome of the Rock mosque/Al Aqsa Mosque.

Be careful of what you are taking into the country - some of my colleagues have been subjected to, ahem, 'intimate' searches, due to carrying GPS systems and the likes. Also, be careful making any jokes etc passing through airport - it's taken very seriously!

I would love to go to Israel, and have heard many wonderful things, but having Lebanese visas in my passport probably wouldn't be ideal (although getting a second passport sorted soon which should solve the issue!) :D It was bad enough getting into there!

Hi
I went to Israel in the summer of 2008 with my girlfriend. We just got a ticket and booked the rest as we went along. Probably best to get a LP in advance and that will help alot.

Airport security is very tight and expect lots of questions / searches.

We spent a few days in Tel Aviv which has nice restaurants, great beach, bars and decent museums. Then took a bus to Jerusalem (2-3 hrs) and stayed in the old town. This was definitely the highlight. We stayed in the old town and there tons of things to see. Also there is a good bar area in the new town.

A few days later we got a bus to the Jordanian border and passed through and got a taxi to Amman. A visa is available on the border from what I remember and while the isrealis don’t stamp the exit the Jordanians stamp your arrival to Jordan from an Israeli border post while could be an issue. Didn’t see much of Amman but took a taxi to the town servicing Petra and also swam in the Dead Sea – both are great to see. The spent a few days working our way back.

I think the country and its neighbours is one of the best tourist desitnations in the world despite the issues - it has it all beach, history, culture, good food etc - enjoy. Overall we had a great hol

Regards

Eoghan

Suggest you avoid crossing into Jordan as it is HIGHLY unstable right now.
Well, I'm just back and Jordan is not unstable. Jordanians are going out of their way to encourage tourism. There's so much to see in Jordan it warrants a trip on its own rather than tacking it on to trip to Israel.

Back